PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a machine shop (not Action)

pbrown
02-16-2011, 08:06 PM
I need to have a couple C-clip grooves cut in my steering column to fix the gap on my steering wheel. I took some measurements and dismantled the column and drove to Action. They were not interested in such a small project and turned me away.

So does anyone have an idea of another shop? Near Ballard would be my first choice.

Luva65wagon
02-16-2011, 11:23 PM
There used to be a shop at about 70th and 15th NW, but I don't get into Ballard much. Have no idea if it's still there.

We have a tool & die shop where I work, but I can't always get things done the moment I bring stuff in. Just depends. If one of the lathes are available I can usually do whatever I need to do... or the tool maker just does it for me real quick-like. Maybe if you can snap a shot of the job I can gage how quick the job is.

pbrown
02-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Here are a couple of photos of the upper section of steering shaft. Do you see those two grooves near where the wheel bolts on? I needs those cut exactly 1/5" closer to the end.There is a bearing that gets sandwiched between two C clips. The bearing sits in the cup of the turn signal housing and the spacing determines the gap I have at the steering wheel. I think this shaft is from a Mustang column kit. The Mustang turn signal housing is 1/5" thicker than the one on a Falcon.

It would be great if you can help me out with this. I can drop it by whenever is convenient and I'm not in a huge rush.

Luva65wagon
02-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Patrick,

That should be a piece of cake. Mere minutes after a tool bit is cut, but we probably have one.

You really should probably scribe exactly where you want the new groove(s) though, or sketch it out, because 1/5" of an inch is an odd description. I'm assuming that to be .200" - right? We'd set up the digital read-out to move exactly how far to do it. Also be sure to dimension things as the edge of one groove to the edge of the other.

pbrown
02-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes that would be .200". That is measured from the edge of the old groove the the same edge of the new groove. This should be easy. I can draw something up if needed.

I used to have access to a lathe. I miss those days. When I was logging, we had a mobile machine shop. We could built anything on the spot to keep equipment running.

Luva65wagon
03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
OK - Can't wait no more. Did it work?

pbrown
03-09-2011, 08:28 PM
OK - Can't wait no more. Did it work?

Yes id did Roger. It was a perfect fit. I haven't had time to do much (any) work on the car but I was able to test fit that.

Thanks much for helping me out.