Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > Blogs > redfalken

Rate this Entry

Engine is together!

Submit "Engine is together!" to Digg Submit "Engine is together!" to del.icio.us Submit "Engine is together!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Engine is together!" to Google
Posted 08-19-2010 at 10:37 PM by redfalken

The engine is now ready to be installed! I didn't do much to the bottom end besides clean it up. That includes the cam and hydraulic lifters. Installed the cylinder head, water pump, timing chain cover, and thermostat housing before giving it a final coat of ceramic engine paint.

I bought a paint made by POR-15 for the exhaust manifold called "Factory Manifold Gray" that's supposed to be good to 1400 degrees. I sandblasted it, scrubbed it with Simple Green and put on 2 coats. Looks great and I'm anxious to see if it holds up.

One thing I forgot to have the machinist do was tap 1/4 pipe threads into the intake just below the carburetor but was able to do it myself. It was nerve-wrecking as the cylinder head was finished when I discovered it and I didn't want to crack the cast iron or get a metal shaving where it's not supposed to be. I found a couple of fittings to install for the PCV valve and a inverted flare elbow to go down to the vacuum modulator on the transmission.

The last photo shows where I'm at now! I like the look for sure. I've got to sand the valve and air filter covers to put on a final coat of paint still but it's ready to go!

I've also been welding holes in the engine bay from 45+ years of modifications. After grinding the welds down, I put on a thin coat of JB Weld to act as filler, sand it down and I'll soon be ready to paint.

More to come...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	32   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	33   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	34   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	35  
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6284 Comments 2 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Wow! Looking good, Kenny! Can't wait to see it. Maybe at a upcoming Burgermaster meeting?
  2. Old Comment
    Looks great Kenny. Glad I could be such an inspiration to you. I know that Best 6-cylinder award I won a couple years ago was eating at you.