Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > Blogs

Old

Finally finished (mostly) my friends WRX engine rebuild

Posted 03-21-2013 at 02:54 PM by pbrown

A very old friend of mine bought a used SAAB 9-2x (actually a rebadged Subaru WRX). He bought this thing in Texas even though he lives in Anchorage AK. The idea was to buy a used smaller all-wheel-drive car to use as a daily driver instead of the gas hungry F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton.

He flew to TX and picked up the SAAB, drove it North to Seattle and left it in my driveway for much of the Summer last year. He returned to Alaska and came back to Seattle to finish the long...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tow truck.jpg
Views:	2304
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	69  
Administrator
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 15573 Comments 2 pbrown is offline Edit Tags
Old

Clearly I have too much time on my hands

Posted 03-21-2013 at 02:30 PM by pbrown

I'm sitting here watching old episodes of Star Trek Voyager (aka Lost in Space - Star Trek Edition). What I see is a holodeck version of a 69 Camaro being worked on my one of the main characters. That would be cool to play with old cars if you are in the future. I guess I have one really big complaint. If one has a holodeck and wants to work on old cars for fun, why oh why would you use jack stands and a jack. I would totally have the best lift holographic money could buy.
Administrator
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4304 Comments 1 pbrown is offline Edit Tags
Old

It Runs... Again

Posted 04-10-2011 at 12:02 PM by pbrown
Updated 04-10-2011 at 12:07 PM by pbrown

Yesterday was spent finishing up the EDIS8 ignition system. Most of that time was fabricating the VR sensor bracket and 36-1 toothed wheel and waiting for paint to dry.

I made the final wire connections, connected the battery, and turned the key.Nothing. Hmmm. I tried again and again. Thinking it is now flooded I enabled flood clear mode (throttle pedal greater that 75% open disables fuel when cranking). Suddenly it started but ran poorly and had a strange whistle. I looked under...
Administrator
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4807 Comments 0 pbrown is offline Edit Tags
Old

Some work on the new ignition

Posted 03-28-2011 at 10:36 PM by pbrown
Updated 03-29-2011 at 08:58 AM by pbrown

I've been working a bit on the ignition. I have the coil packs mounted. I found some room for them in front of the left head. I used the power steering pump bracket as a base. This bracket is made from 1/8" mild steel. Those coils won't go anywhere.

The EDIS module ended up just under the passenger side hood hinge. All the wiring to the coils is done as well at the power leads. I just need to work on the VR sensor.

There are some factory noise filters for the system...
Administrator
Posted in 62 Falcon, EFI
Views 6738 Comments 2 pbrown is offline Edit Tags
Old

LEDs for the Falcon

Posted 02-14-2011 at 11:27 PM by pbrown

I've been looking for the perfect LED setup for the Falcon for a while. Most of these just don't work well because the LEDs get oriented to only face one direction. The Falcon lens is actually designed to surround the bulb and focus the light sort of like a Fresnel lens. When the typical LED bulb is used the overall light is focussed at the center and it looks dim overall.

Well, I have a solution. Look at the photos and see what I found. I bought a complete set (front and rear). They...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led_vs_bulb.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	61   Click image for larger version

Name:	led_install.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	62   Click image for larger version

Name:	led_compare.jpg
Views:	947