Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > Blogs

Old

Progress on Some Issues

Posted 03-14-2011 at 12:00 PM by MacDee
Updated 03-18-2011 at 03:13 PM by MacDee

Another progress report….

In my last report I believe I mentioned finding a cracked push rod over at Carter’s place last fall. I had driven it over there so we could verify the cam timing. The “cup” at the top of one of the push rods was cracked, and a piece of it broke off when I poked at it. Carter observed from the wear pattern that it looked as if it had only been wearing around the lip of the cup, not down in the cup itself; as though the ball on the end of the adjuster...
Senior Forum User
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3405 Comments 0 MacDee is offline Edit Tags
Old

Where Do I Go From Here?

Posted 01-22-2011 at 06:30 PM by MacDee

Okay, it's time for an update...

The last thing I could think of that might be wrong was that maybe the cam timing was off. One of my vanpool co-riders has a couple of vintage Mustangs he's restored. He told me of a time he rebuilt one of his engines, but it "ran like crap!", and he couldn't figure out why. He was sure he had the cam timing was correct when he assembled it, but when he finally gave up and took it to a professional shop, they found the cam timing was off...
Senior Forum User
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4326 Comments 1 MacDee is offline Edit Tags
Old

Troubleshoot Chronology

Posted 09-08-2010 at 08:48 PM by MacDee

Let me say first that the BASIC PROBLEM I’m having with my engine is that it won’t idle. It seems as though as soon as the engine speed drops below a certain speed, say about 1200 rpm, the engine will just quit, as if the fuel has simply been shut off. Driving it home after the engine was installed was very anxious. I had to keep my foot in the gas even as I came to stops to keep it running. This is the approximate sequence of actions taken so far to try to find and resolve whatever the problem...
Senior Forum User
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4513 Comments 1 MacDee is offline Edit Tags
Old

Project Postponed - but Back In Business

Posted 10-04-2009 at 09:06 AM by MacDee
Updated 01-04-2010 at 06:16 AM by MacDee (Update)

Well, we had a setback....
The engine was all ready to go back together. We'd finished all the block machine work, did the final cleaning, applied rust inhibitor in the cylinders and deck in preparation for subsequent final assembly when the block fell off of the cart it was sitting on and hit the floor. At first it looked like there was no damage, but later while gapping the rings, it became apparent the #1 cylinder had been distorted by the blow.
We don't know yet if it is repairable....
Senior Forum User
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3377 Comments 0 MacDee is offline Edit Tags
Old

Worry List - Freddie's Transplant

Posted 09-28-2009 at 02:59 PM by MacDee
Updated 04-30-2010 at 11:51 AM by MacDee (Updated)

As I look through the steps required to swap Freddie's engine and trans, several make me very anxious. Those especially that include some sort of nebulous “beat to fit, paint to match” wording. The following are my worries, thoughts and progress reports on SOME of the steps. I will update this blog as progress continues.
Comments, suggestions and wisdom will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! (Gotta share my worry....)
21. Clean and detail engine bay and underside of hood. Pat has offered the...
Senior Forum User
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8499 Comments 11 MacDee is offline Edit Tags