Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > Blogs > pbrown

Rate this Entry

Some work on the new ignition

Submit "Some work on the new ignition" to Digg Submit "Some work on the new ignition" to del.icio.us Submit "Some work on the new ignition" to StumbleUpon Submit "Some work on the new ignition" to Google
Posted 03-28-2011 at 10:36 PM by pbrown
Updated 03-29-2011 at 08:58 AM by pbrown

I've been working a bit on the ignition. I have the coil packs mounted. I found some room for them in front of the left head. I used the power steering pump bracket as a base. This bracket is made from 1/8" mild steel. Those coils won't go anywhere.

The EDIS module ended up just under the passenger side hood hinge. All the wiring to the coils is done as well at the power leads. I just need to work on the VR sensor.

There are some factory noise filters for the system that didn't look that great. I hid them under the coil bracket.

Here are some photos.

Creating the support brackets.

Some mock up to see how it will all look.

Noise Filters

The dizzy is gone. In it's place is a cam sensor from a 5.0 Explorer.

This is an EDIS8 module mounted under the hood near the blower motor.

This is the final install of the coil modules. They are wired up and ready except for the plug wires.
Posted in 62 Falcon, EFI
Views 9695 Comments 2 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Wow that is really trick! patrick, what are the coils made for?I like the cam sensor, does it go into the oil pump shaft, well I guess it would have to. does it all work with the computer you made or does it have it's own ignition controler...looking good..john h
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Comment
    Wow that is really trick! patrick, what are the coils made for?I like the cam sensor, does it go into the oil pump shaft, well I guess it would have to. does it all work with the computer you made or does it have it's own ignition controler...looking good..john h
    This system has it's own ignition module. There is a photo of it in the blog post. The system is designed to operate at a fixed 10 degrees BTDC without any computer input. This is what they call "limp home mode". There is a single wire to the EFI computer to adjust timing. This wire sends the SAW (Spark Advance Word) signal.

The coils are standard EDIS4/8 coils and can be found on most 4 and 8 cylinder Ford engines from the early 90s to early 2000s.
    Updated 04-02-2011 at 08:37 PM by pbrown