Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > Blogs > pbrown

1. Old Comment

LEDs for the Falcon

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdrnchman View Comment
    Where did you find the bulbs for the rear? I have not had any luck finding a set that will work
    The bulbs came from Super Bright LEDs (http://www.superbrightleds.com).
  2. Old Comment

LEDs for the Falcon

Where did you find the bulbs for the rear? I have not had any luck finding a set that will work
    Posted 06-04-2014 at 09:42 AM by gdrnchman
  3. Old Comment
  4. Old Comment
  5. Old Comment

Finally finished (mostly) my friends WRX engine rebuild

Glad you are done... now I can bring over my 200 for a rebuild.

Nice work and The Saabaru - your friend is lucky to have you.
  6. Old Comment

Some work on the new ignition

Quote:
    Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Comment
    Wow that is really trick! patrick, what are the coils made for?I like the cam sensor, does it go into the oil pump shaft, well I guess it would have to. does it all work with the computer you made or does it have it's own ignition controler...looking good..john h
    This system has it's own ignition module. There is a photo of it in the blog post. The system is designed to operate at a fixed 10 degrees BTDC without any computer input. This is what they call "limp home mode". There is a single wire to the EFI computer to adjust timing. This wire sends the SAW (Spark Advance Word) signal.

The coils are standard EDIS4/8 coils and can be found on most 4 and 8 cylinder Ford engines from the early 90s to early 2000s.
    Updated 04-02-2011 at 08:37 PM by pbrown
  7. Old Comment

Some work on the new ignition

Wow that is really trick! patrick, what are the coils made for?I like the cam sensor, does it go into the oil pump shaft, well I guess it would have to. does it all work with the computer you made or does it have it's own ignition controler...looking good..john h
  8. Old Comment

LEDs for the Falcon

I resolved the flasher issues. I added a green dash LED for the high beam light and wired the left and right blinkers into the old high beam light and existing flasher.

I have the dash all put together and realized that the old high beam light was red and the flasher was green. I need to get some gel tape or something so I can make them both the same color. I also need to move a diode from the alternator to behind the dash anyway.
    Updated 02-20-2011 at 11:48 PM by pbrown
  9. Old Comment

LEDs for the Falcon

The new flasher is silent. I may add a relay to the load side to get the click back.

I was thinking about the high beam light locations and having left and right turn indicators.
  10. Old Comment

LEDs for the Falcon

maybe you can hijack the high beam indicator for the right turn signal and add a high beam elsewhere.

Should be a piece of cake with your background.

Does your new flasher unit play "Love me tender"?
  11. Old Comment

LEDs for the Falcon

I did have to change the flasher but now there is a new problem. I noticed that after I installed the front bulbs that they both blinked when signaling left or right. The problem is only front. It turns out that the dash indicator is wired into both front turn signal circuits. I pulled the dash bulb and they started to flash properly. I need to figure out how to modify the dash light so that I have a dash indicator and the left and right don't flash at the same time.
    Updated 02-18-2011 at 11:09 PM by pbrown
  12. Old Comment

LEDs for the Falcon

That is a good price $25 each. I'm assuming you followed the recommendation and went with the color Red?
    Pricing on the under-counter strips are very reasonable as well. I was looking for some a while back for the kitchen and wasn't happy in my search... ended up with mini-fluorescents.

How cool would it be to have a 4 foot strip hidden along the bottom of your dash that was activated along with the dome light? Trunk light under the front drip edge? Under the hood hidden under the shock braces?

Did you have to replace your flasher unit to compensate for the lighter load?
    Updated 02-18-2011 at 10:33 PM by Jeff W
  13. Old Comment

The Case of the Missing Pintle

Not a missing Pintle! Anything but that!!

Yeah, that sucks. I hate it when that happens. Hope to see some pictures of that new pintle when it comes...
  14. Old Comment

The Case of the Missing Pintle

seems like you're making good progress Patrick. I'm suoer interested in the final result and the degree of you satisfaction. But it sure sounds like you had a fella named Murphy sitting behind you when setting up your throttle body.
  15. Old Comment

Electronic Fuel Injection Begins

Quote:
    was the computer a kit that you assembeled?
    It is a MegaSquirt 2 kit from diyautotune.com. It required assemply of the entire board. There is a lot of soldering invilved.

Quote:
    does it use one or two exhaust sensors?
    It used one wideband O2 sensor. I could use two. I could even use eight if I realy wanted to. I wanted to start simple. I mounted the sensor aboyr six inches behind the X-pipe.

Quote:
    how long before it runs,
    I'm hoping to start it for the first time sometome mid-November. I'm waiting for my new fuel pump and I needed to order a new IAC valve. Both are on backorder.

Quote:
    also will a obd ll scanner work with it..
    No. The whole thing is programed and monitored from a laptop.
  16. Old Comment

Electronic Fuel Injection Begins

Patrick that looks cool, was the computer a kit that you assembeled? does it use one or two exhaust sensors? how long before it runs, I'am just full of questions arn't I.. well I have done quit a bit of electronics over the years, and it's still fun. also will a obd ll scanner work with it.. I think it will run great, and fast...john h
  17. Old Comment

Chasing Noise in Stereo

Next thing you'll be putting magnets on your fuel line to get better milage!

Glad you figured it out...
  18. Old Comment

Chasing Noise in Stereo

I just finished installing my new ignition filter. That thing actually works.
  19. Old Comment

Chasing Noise in Stereo

years & years ago, when FM was 1st appearing in cars, we had to use carbon spark plug wires to cure this annoying symptom. are your wires metal? trouble is, i believe you lose a little oomph at the plugs wit carbon wires.
  20. Old Comment

A little electrical cleanup.

Yes, the dreaded "ground loop interference." Having been a car stereo fanatic forever, I've fought this many times. Providing a common ground is ideal, but not always practical. Many things don't care, but some, like stereo's really do. For sure. Anyone wanting to read a little more on what Patrick is talking about, here's a pretty good page on the subject. It's obviously not a USA-based web page. In England most likely. There they call grounds "earth". Go figure.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/