Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > Blogs > Luva65wagon

Rate this Entry

Car Show Whats-itz?

Submit "Car Show Whats-itz?" to Digg Submit "Car Show Whats-itz?" to del.icio.us Submit "Car Show Whats-itz?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Car Show Whats-itz?" to Google
Posted 09-03-2009 at 09:37 PM by Luva65wagon

Today I got an email from Bill Pierre Ford telling me about their upcoming Car Show. I read with interest as I thought this might be similar to the Skarff and Bickford shows.

As I read this email the more heat built up under the hood and steam came from my ears. What are car shows coming to? I had to send a reply to them.

These guys are putting on a show on October 18th, first of all. To top it off they are going to charge $25 entry fee and $5 for a pancake breakfast and another $5 later if you want a stinking hot-dog and soda. And $10 for a tee-shirt. So, let me get this straight: $45 to show my car and eat something crappy. I don't think so.

They "advised" to pre-register because space is limited, but for an October show they made no mention whether I'd get that refunded if it was rained out. At least other shows indicate up-front that you are sqwood if you pre-register and it rains out.

Suffice it to say I wished them all the luck in the world pulling this one off that late in the year. And said (in essence) thanks, but no thanks. And I thanked them for contributing to the decline of the car-show enjoyment factor.

Here's my reply to whoever sent the email:

To whom it may concern:

No offence here, but I attend other "Ford dealership shows" (Bowen Skarff All Ford Show and the Bickford Ford shows) to show my 1965 Falcon Tudor Wagon -- plus quite a few other shows locally. Both of these Ford dealer shows are free to enter and they also do a rather decent Hot-Dog grill -- all FREE.

Your attempt at a show where you charge the same amount as a show in the league of the Greenwood car show (in regards to pricing...) I wish you all the luck in the world. And in October too? Wow. If this show is like all the other "please preregister, but -- oh, by the way, if the show gets rained out we keep the money" -- you'll not get many to preregister for a show this late in the season. You should alter your flyer below to indicate what happens in the [likely] event the show is rained out. I know it's your first show, but save yourself some grief from what will happen if you don't make this known.

I love my Fords though... die-hard Ford guy through and through, and I'm president of the local Falcon club here in Washington state. Love car shows too -- do, on average, 10-15 a year, but I just wanted to let you know I'm getting tired of everyone thinking that we should have to pay upwards of $30-50 for a day (especially in the worlds present economic state) to show all the hard work we put into these cars. I'm not saying they should all be free like your cousins to north and south, but this is getting ridiculous for those of us who care about restoring cars -- as opposed to those with deep pockets who buy and sell and trade them like stocks and bonds. You're killing the joy of showing cars.

My 2-cents.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8729 Comments 4 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Roger,
    I fell your Pain..

I attended the Goodguys Show here in Spokane a month ago. I went on Sunday becasue that was my only free time to attend. I still had to pay the full $15 to get in the door to be dissappointed with what was left..

I had orginally planned on showing a car at this event but scoffed at the $75 they wanted for a three day event. Even if I just attended saturday with my car it was still $75..

I now understand why my local wednesday night cruise has been over populated.. Its FREE!!! on any given wednesday night at the Steer Inn (food is so-so) the turn out has been averaging 100+ cars.. and every week its a different group of cars..
    It makes you wonder why I shell out money to let people look at my hard work.. People should pay me to look at my hardwork.. (I can dream right?)

Amen Brother

Nathan
  2. Old Comment

Car Show Whats-itz?

Roger and Nathan, all over the country they try very hard to cater to the special interest groups like us and motorcycle groups. They are smart enough to understand that when they do, their businesses pull in a bundle. The only way we can have an effect on the shows that want to shaft us, is to do what both of you did. Don't go, but we have to let them know that we didn't go and why. Roger's comments back to them, especially since he is the president of such a prestigious group as the Rainier Falcons, will start sending a message. I complained at the Goodguys event in Puyallup the last time. It was too expensive for the product they provide. We have a voice.
  3. Old Comment
    Either they listened or concluded I was a raving lunatic. I didn't get a reply.

I think we should maybe have a little Falcon show across the street from the place. Oh wait, that's a place called Rick's
  4. Old Comment
    Im pretty new to all this, and dont have time to enter alot of shows. You guys are a great bunch of guys, and do a great job helping others. O)h yeah, that would make you CAR GUYS. This dealer in particular is reall missing the point. Heck if they charged just a little bit more.....it would qualify for a down payment on a NEW car. They wont get my money