Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > Blogs > Luva65wagon

Rate this Entry

The curse of... "while I'm at it."

Submit "The curse of... "while I'm at it."" to Digg Submit "The curse of... "while I'm at it."" to del.icio.us Submit "The curse of... "while I'm at it."" to StumbleUpon Submit "The curse of... "while I'm at it."" to Google
Posted 05-02-2010 at 10:02 PM by Luva65wagon
Updated 12-13-2013 at 08:43 PM by Luva65wagon

I'm sure many of you have uttered these words. Seems they are the bane of my existence.

As I write this I've just spent the weekend doing a half-dozen of these "while I'm at it" things. And yes, some of them are not of my own choosing and some of them I just can't help myself. I am my own worst enemy.

So as some of you have seen I put in a new 8" rear in my wagon and while I was under the ca I glance forward and see water leaking from up front. Ah shoot, what's that, a leaky freeze plug?

But wait, I don't want to get ahead of myself.

As I'm under the back-end, lying there... as I often do... on the cold concrete... I look up at the floor of the car and the gas tank and think to myself, 'while I'm at it' I really need to do something about this surface rust. So, as I'm prone to do, now I'm fixated at doing this too.

I also think to myself those tank straps are looking pretty bad. That can't be good. They need to be pulled and cleaned up 'while I'm at it.'

So back up front it's off with the headers to gain access to the freeze plugs. Only one of the 5 is leaking, but I will replace all five of them 'while I'm at it'.

While I've got the headers off I think to myself, 'while I'm at it' I ought to send those off to get thermo-coated so they stop flaking every time I clean and repaint them. Considering this will be the 5th time I've pulled them off I'll be taking them to Performance Coatings in Auburn this week.

So I jack up the car to get to the collector and proceed to pull off the header and think, 'while I'm at it' I ought to pull off the steering box and replace it with the one I just had built up. Of course I didn't really plan to do that right now, but I figured since the car was up in the air, I may as well do that 'while I'm at it.' And of course, The steering column hasn't ever been out since I've had the car (or forever as far as I can tell), so 'while I'm at it' I ought to restore that and paint it.

So as I'm under the car taking pictures for this blog and the final pictures for the 8" rear end I installed, I look up at the fuel line from the tank to the engine and think to myself I really ought to replace that too... 'while I'm at it'... so I do.

All along I'm wishing somebody would stop me! But it is a curse - there is no escaping it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	itsaleaker.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	13   Click image for larger version

Name:	oldfreezeplugs.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	14   Click image for larger version

Name:	newfreezeplugs.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	15   Click image for larger version

Name:	steeringboxold.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	16   Click image for larger version

Name:	redheadbox.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	17  

Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7749 Comments 3 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    There you go, down the complete rebuild rabbit hole. Just knowing you've got something that's going to go "ping" in the next year or two will make you nuts, no?
  2. Old Comment
    You have a beautiful engine.
  3. Old Comment
    Thanks. It looks much better under there than these pictures would indicate.