Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > Blogs > pbrown

Rate this Entry

Electronic Fuel Injection Begins

Submit "Electronic Fuel Injection Begins" to Digg Submit "Electronic Fuel Injection Begins" to del.icio.us Submit "Electronic Fuel Injection Begins" to StumbleUpon Submit "Electronic Fuel Injection Begins" to Google
Posted 08-17-2010 at 07:43 PM by pbrown
Updated 08-17-2010 at 07:50 PM by pbrown

After a long break I've started to tinker with the Falcon again. I've been gathering parts for a while.

I have all of the parts needed for the ignition. The new ignition with be an updated Ford EDIS system. EDIS is short for Electrinic Distributorless Ignition System. This was used on most Ford cars and trucks for more than 10 years. There are four coils which fire two plugs at a time. Only one of the plugs will be at the top of the power cycle. The other is wasted which is why this is refered to as a wasted spark ignition system.

I just recently started aquiring parts for the fuel system. The attachments show what they look like. The intake manifold is an Edelbrock EFI unit based on a Super Vitor racing manifold. The injectors are 29lb high Z pico units also from Elelbrock. The throttle body is a 4150 style four barrel 1000cfm from Edelbrock. It has a built in throttle position sensor (TPS) and idle air control valve (IAC).

The engine management computer will be a home built Megasquirt V3 unit with bank to bank fire fuel. You can see it mounted under the dash in one of the photos along with a lot of wire for the varios sensors, ignition, and fuel control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	27   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	28   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0178.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	29   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	30   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	31  

Posted in 62 Falcon, EFI
Views 3108 Comments 2 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Patrick that looks cool, was the computer a kit that you assembeled? does it use one or two exhaust sensors? how long before it runs, I'am just full of questions arn't I.. well I have done quit a bit of electronics over the years, and it's still fun. also will a obd ll scanner work with it.. I think it will run great, and fast...john h
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    was the computer a kit that you assembeled?
    It is a MegaSquirt 2 kit from diyautotune.com. It required assemply of the entire board. There is a lot of soldering invilved.

Quote:
    does it use one or two exhaust sensors?
    It used one wideband O2 sensor. I could use two. I could even use eight if I realy wanted to. I wanted to start simple. I mounted the sensor aboyr six inches behind the X-pipe.

Quote:
    how long before it runs,
    I'm hoping to start it for the first time sometome mid-November. I'm waiting for my new fuel pump and I needed to order a new IAC valve. Both are on backorder.

Quote:
    also will a obd ll scanner work with it..
    No. The whole thing is programed and monitored from a laptop.