Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > Blogs > pbrown

62 Falcon Project updates about my 62 Falcon.
Old

Some work on the new ignition

Posted 03-28-2011 at 10:36 PM by pbrown
Updated 03-29-2011 at 08:58 AM by pbrown

I've been working a bit on the ignition. I have the coil packs mounted. I found some room for them in front of the left head. I used the power steering pump bracket as a base. This bracket is made from 1/8" mild steel. Those coils won't go anywhere.

The EDIS module ended up just under the passenger side hood hinge. All the wiring to the coils is done as well at the power leads. I just need to work on the VR sensor.

There are some factory noise filters for the system...
Administrator
Posted in 62 Falcon, EFI
Views 8327 Comments 2 pbrown is offline Edit Tags
Old

LEDs for the Falcon

Posted 02-14-2011 at 11:27 PM by pbrown

I've been looking for the perfect LED setup for the Falcon for a while. Most of these just don't work well because the LEDs get oriented to only face one direction. The Falcon lens is actually designed to surround the bulb and focus the light sort of like a Fresnel lens. When the typical LED bulb is used the overall light is focussed at the center and it looks dim overall.

Well, I have a solution. Look at the photos and see what I found. I bought a complete set (front and rear). They...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led_vs_bulb.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	61   Click image for larger version

Name:	led_install.jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	62   Click image for larger version

Name:	led_compare.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	63  
Administrator
Posted in 62 Falcon
Views 11314 Comments 7 pbrown is offline Edit Tags
Old

More progress - Still a lot to do though.

Posted 02-11-2011 at 08:10 PM by pbrown
Updated 02-13-2011 at 10:59 AM by pbrown

I've been doing a lot of under hood wire cleanup. I removed most of the factory harness wrap to expose the wires. The unused wire was removed and the others neatly routed and secured. I still need to rewrap the harness. I'm waiting to finish up the new ignition system before wrapping it all up.

I just received a new 8" center section in a 3.4:1 gear ratio and four gear Trac-Lock. This will be fun. I plan to pull the whole rear end when this goes in. I'd like to weld on the brackets...
Administrator
Posted in 62 Falcon, EFI
Views 3108 Comments 0 pbrown is offline Edit Tags
Old

It Runs! Again!

Posted 02-04-2011 at 09:18 PM by pbrown
Updated 02-04-2011 at 10:08 PM by pbrown

Kenny came over and helped with the last bit of fuel line work (thanks Kenny). After chasing down a few fuel leaks, we gave it a try. It started pretty easy for having no tune.

I've since been working on tuning the fuel settings. This involves fiddling with air/fuel and VE tables and adjusting cold and warm start settings.

I took it for a short drive around the neighborhood today. It drives great. It still needs some tuning.

I'll be starting with the EDIS8...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	efi-engine-w-filter.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	59   Click image for larger version

Name:	no-air-filter.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	60  
Administrator
Posted in 62 Falcon, EFI
Views 2645 Comments 0 pbrown is offline Edit Tags
Old

More EFI Fun

Posted 11-28-2010 at 08:05 PM by pbrown

The fuel pump finally arrived. It's been on back-order since August. It bolted in right where the old one was. I worked on some of the plumbing at the rear.

I still have a bit of hard line to finish with up front. I want to get the car a little higher to make that section easier to access.

I tested the new idle air control (IAC) valve. It fits and works fine. I did some testing. I installed the IAC in the throttle body. Then I set my retract settings to one and the start...
Administrator
Posted in 62 Falcon, EFI
Views 1931 Comments 0 pbrown is offline Edit Tags