Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

It's outside again, insured, and driven

The Flarechero took it's maiden voyage today. Took it to the gas station to see if, in fact, the gas gauge isn't working... and it's not. Not sure, yet, if it's the sender or the gauge. The wiring is new, so not likely that. It was very pleasant using the Jag filler.

It has a few bugs to work out, for sure. The V8 suspension is really stiff; I think I can eliminate the overload springs in the rear and use regular shocks; it's hard to get into 1st gear, so I think I need to re-align the shifter rods; and it started and ran very smooth for the first 10 minutes in the garage and half-way to the gas station, then started to sputter a little... again. So the carb is certainly not 100% happy yet. Everything else seems to be checking out, so it has to be that. I have a kit to rebuild it completely, so will have to do that next, I guess. If that doesn't take care of it - it's out'ta there and something will replace it. I wish the wagon carb was an exact bolt-on. It's a Holley and this one is an Autolite 1100.

Tomorrow morning I'm taking it to Rhino-Liners to get the bed sprayed. Supposedly will take about 5 hours to do and Gene and I will do some work on his Ranchero while they're doing that. Then I'll be taking it to a front-end shop to get an alignment. I got it pretty close, so it's not going all over the place, but wouldn't want to drive to Sequim or Renton (where I have a free alignment I can use), but Gene and I will stop by a place he's used before and see when they can do it for me.

So, this thread is just about complete. I will post some pictures after the bed liner is done too and the rest of the bed chrome is on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

That is awesome, congratulations!! It is quite amazing to go back through this thread and see the beginning and to where it is now. Quite the journey. I am very happy the old yeller went to a good place. Now she will live on for another 40 years.
    Give yourself a pat on the back for a job very well done and I can't wait to see it live and in person. Maybe my 62 will be drivable by then.
    Again job well done be proud!

Good job! That color scheme is just hollering for some Kafka pinstripes...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Of carbs (not carbohydrates) and men

Have spent the past few hours researching this Autolite 1100 to see what information is out there on it; mods, tweaks, known weaknesses - etc.

With all the discussion and research I've done based on Kenny's "recurve" thread, I, of course, learned a lot regarding early timing characteristics with these motors too. All things happen for a reason.

As you all know I have 65 wagon and now this Ranchero. Both have similar drivetrain.

The wagon has the stock distributor with Pertronics and when I bought the car in 1997 it had a funcky/warped 1-barrel Holley on it, which was beyond repair. At the time my only choice was to replace it, so I ran up to the local parts house and told them what I needed, and they said they had one in stock for a later model Mustang with a 200 ci/6 and "it should work fine." So I got it, installed it, and other than the little crud issue a couple years ago, it has been working pretty good.

As I do my research tonight I come across a thread on a Mustang forum with a guy trying to rebuild a carb like the one on my wagon. Some guy mentions to the OP that his photo's don't show it having a spark control valve (AKA - the vacuum advance control needed on the Load-o-matic models) and he ought to see if his dizzy needs it (no mechanical advance). And my brain instantly goes - !!!WHOAAANELLY!!! I pull up pictures of my wagon motor and low and behold - I have a Holley 1940 on my wagon... with a Load-o-matic distributor... and NO SPARK CONTROL VALVE. So God only knows what my advance is like on that wagon.

So... me thinks the carb from the wagon comes off, goes onto the Flarechero, the 1100 gets a full-fledged rebuild and goes onto the wagon with a Spark Control Valve... for the first time in 15 years.

Maybe both will run really well after that.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Good job! That color scheme is just hollering for some Kafka pinstripes...
    I sort of mentioned doing something like this up there somewhere. Whether I learn to do it, or take it somewhere...

Always looking to learn new things. Would need to create me a part to practice on. And the brushes. And maybe some on-line tutorials.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I agree with Kenny pinstripes would be the way to go!
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Thanks for the link, Patrick. Looks interesting. Will have to watch it when I'm more awake.

Had a bad case of insomnia last night - too much thinking about that carb, I think - and only got about 3 hours of sleep. After watching 4 hours of "Wheeler - Dealers" between 3AM and 7AM I went out this morning before going to RhinoLiners and swapped out the carb from the wagon to the Ranchero and - other than forgetting to plug off the vacuum port on the carb, the thing ran famously all 10 miles I drove it today. Just a little fluttering, which was probably due to the open vacuum port. The Autolite 1100 is now in the carb bath and I'll rebuild it for the wagon - and maybe it will like it better.

Gene met me at Rhino-Liner this morning and we worked on his Ranchero while they sprayed the bed liner, which took them 6 hours to turn-around. Win-Win for both of us (he's getting close to starting his car too!). The bed turned out pretty good, but I got home too late to get any pictures taken. Only a couple hiccups. Using a flashlight I put the bed trim on (sans the transition curve pieces, which I will do tomorrow) and plugged the vacuum port on the carb. I've only got to install the access panels and shock-bolt covers in the bed in the morning.

I have an appointment at 9AM to get the front-end aligned, so I hope I sleep - or don't over-sleep. I am a typing zombie right now.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; December 29th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"