Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

MSD Wiring?

• Could it be the msd box could be getting lower voltage? Did you try another distributor? Maybe its an elecrical issue. Im judt guessing of course.
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

More Progress

I've made some progress. I got the exhaust system nicely re-installed, and tried (but failed) to find the electrical gremlin.

Details in my blog:
    http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/blog.php?b=48
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

MORE Progress!

I found the electrical gremlin!!

There was a pinched wire in the steering column. This is what I had suspected, but missed seeing it when I looked in there once before. I was able to trace the short to the specific wire, and when I took the steering wheel off again, I found that wire pinched. Had to take the shift collar off to fix it, but managed to get it back together without pinching any more wires.

Brake lights, turn signals, dome light... all working!!

Now if I could just get those push rods back.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Congratulations! I know how tough wiring gremlins can be. There's hope to see your car at a show this year yet!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Freddie's back on the road!

Alas, my push rods are still at large...
    However, I "borrowed" the rocker shaft assembly and push rods out of "engine #2" from Carter and installed them.
    She runs about the same as the last time I drove her. She ran, and runs, well enough that I vowed to start taking her to shows if I got the other issues resolved (which I have). She still runs hesitantly at low speeds in top gear, and is is a little reluctant to idle, but it's not too bad and it's pretty easy to keep her running at stop signs now.

So, true to my vow, I'll be taking her to the Fathers Day show at Country Village in Bothell next Sunday (June 19) for her debut appearance! I've also got the registration form for Greenwood all filled out and ready to mail.

The valve train is now very sound, which is to say there are no more bad sounds coming from it. During one test drive, I kept her booted until the secondaries opened.... WOW!! The thing took off like a Saturn V ROCKET! It makes me feel somewhat better about the whole project, to say the least!

Looking forward to "being around" again!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Good news indeed. Glad the burden of an "issue" has been lifted significantly, now you can tune and tinker.

Good News

Glad to see you are "back in business" Its a beautiful car.
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Well Gary - I guess you built a drag car. Idle? Who needs to idle?

Saturn V rocket? Man - I want a ride in that! Sounds like fun... but then I suspect I will get all jealous and will have to do the same thing in the Ranchero - sell the 289 I have for it to fund the project...

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Update: July 17, 2011

I spent some more time with Freddie again yesterday; made a little more progress....

Since I'm running points again, I adjusted the spark plug gap down to "factory specs", .034. I re-set the timing with the Vacuum Gage Technique: Got it idling as slow as I could get it (about 800 rpm) and then set the timing to the highest vacuum reading (about 14 in Hg). Then, back off the timing until you see 2 in Hg less; for me, 12 in Hg. Tighten down the distributor and check with timing light. Mine was at about 14 BTDC. Ran the engine up until mechanical advance was all the way out; about 33 BTDC. Hooked up the vacuum advance (first time in a long while), and even hooked up the PCV. She runs okay now; still not great, but okay. She'll idle at stop lights, in gear, without me having to intervene on the throttle (THIS is PROGRESS!). Still hesitates frequently cruising down the road, but never threatens to quit. I wonder if I need more dwell (Well, I NEED A BETTER IGNITION SYSTEM!!). Spec says it should be 37-42 degrees. I'm right at 37.

Well, I NEED A BETTER IGNITION SYSTEM!!
    It finally dawned on me that the Pertronix allows you to do away with points, and allows a full 12V to the coil, but that's about it. (My Pertronix system seems to be possessed. It would work okay one day, but not the next. I dunno.... That's why I gave up on it!) Upon finally figuring out how a Capacitor Discharge system works (like DuraSpark), it became clear this is what I need. A Capacitor Discharge system provides ~400V to the coil so the coil's output goes to about 50KV instead of the typical less-than 30KV! I'm sure this would help. I'm just confused now about what components I ought to buy. The obvious choice for a module is the MSD 6A, but Classic Inlines has a unit they swear by that's about $60 cheaper. (Though I noticed in one of his articles, Classic Inlines CEO Mike Winterbore is running MSD on one of his projects!) Should I upgrade to a DuraSpark distributor? I downloaded installation instructions for the MSD module and it says it can be used in conjunction with a Pertronix system. Should I try re-installing my Pertronix and use it to trigger a CD module? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the DuraSpark distributor vs. the stock '60's vintage dizzy (like I have) with Pertronix? Can I use my existing coil (an Accel unit right now; I also have the Pertronix "megablaster" or whatever they call it)?

Oh, by the way, I got my push rods back. Apparently one of the partners at Pushrods.com had some trouble with... uh ...following through? He... uh ...no longer works there. I called, and the other partner had my push rods ON HIS DESK ready to ship. I haven't put them back in yet. (Carter is in no great hurry to get back the ones I borrowed.)

Anyhow, just wanted to provide an update.
    Feeling a little better....
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Hey Gary. It's good to hear that you are making progress.

Go find a stock replacement Duraspark II dizzy for a 200L6. You should be able to find one for $43.89 from Rock Auto with single vacuum. Look for CARDONE part number 302690.

You'll need a ignition control box. You can go with a stock Ford module or one of many aftermarket units. I'm partial to the MSD unit and would go with Digital 6A (part #6201) or the Digital 6AL (part #6425).

You'll also need a cap and rotor for the dizzy above and some different spark plug wires. The cap terminals are different.

The Duraspark dizzy is cheap, reliable, easily found, and tunable. It has a good hot spark. The cap is larger diameter to get the terminals apart more to avoid cross fire.

You're coil should be fine if it's a 12V coil.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Why is the $175 MSD unit better/different than the $23 ignition control module that comes from ford?

That's a question I'd like to know too. When I put my engine back into the Ranchero I plan to use the DSII setup I got a couple years ago. I got the whole kit and kaboodle. I noticed that Kelly is running the stock DSII Ford parts on his wagon towing that trailer of his all the time. I've not really researched the swap yet - or looked at the MSD parts. I would suspect the benefit to be better adjustments over the non-adjustable Ford setup.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"