Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Insert gear "A" into shaft "B"

Will I ever get this pile into a usable transmission again...

Yeah, no problem.

So far I have only needed to take 2 of the 4 of these rare beasts apart (I have 5 of them, but one is in my wagon) to make up this transmission. I had another shaft from a third transmission I will be using for the idler. I had some good gears from one, some from another. Good synchro's from another, bad on the other. So, as of 11pm last night, I had sorted out all the good parts into this cluster. Should have it together and ready to install tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    Roger who is going to do the drive line? and do you know how much $ it will cost??....jh
    I have not decided. As I think I mentioned to you... I did my own in my wagon when I upgraded to the Dagenham 4-speed. It was still the puny 6-cylinder driveline - just needed to be a bit longer. I machined a sleeve with about a .001 press-fit and drove that over the tube and made sure I was 100% accurate on the alignment of the tube where I cut it, so the yokes were still aligned end-to-end. Never had an issue of imbalance - that I could perceive, anyway.

I think just about everyone here has used Drivelines NW to do theirs. I used them when I did my 8" swap in my wagon. I paid in the high $2's for that, as I recall. I didn't have a lot of time, then, to mess with it, so I paid the piper. I don't have a lot of time now, either. This one, too, is going to be small on one end and larger (V-8 style) on the other, just like my wagon is, so I will see if I make an attempt to make my own.

If I try my hand at this one, I have a few drivelines laying around to play with. But if tube diameters are not matching anywhere (yokes and tubes, etc.) you kind'a need to go with the professionals who can swage or expand tubing to fit the parts.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Almost time to shift gears (pun intended)

Spent this evening reworking the rest of the innerds of this Dagenham 4 speed. Fortunately I've found good parts in the two I took apart. The cover needs a little attention since seals are no longer available, but I'll do the same thing I did on my wagon, which is holding up so far after almost 7 years. Will show that... next. Stay tuned.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Awesome... I have a question for you, I noticed on you engine pic that the fuel filter canister is facing upwards. I tried to put a pump like that in my Ratchero and the only way the gasket and mounting flange line up is if the canister is facing down???? Are there different fuel pumps for these motors? I need to triple check mine and make sure it is a 200. It has 5 freeze plugs??? Just wondering but the Flarechero is looking good....

I've not seen any that face down on the 200. The lever of the pump has to ride on the cam lobe, so it will only mount one way.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Fuel Pump Orientation?

I stumbled upon the which-way-does-it-go issue with the fuel pump during my engine build. At one point before the engine was completed, I decided to replace the stock fuel pump with a "high performance" pump. I found a Carter fuel pump on the Summit web site and ordered it. When I received it, it appeared physically identical to the stock one. However, when I tried to install it, it would only install UPSIDE DOWN relative to the the way the stock one had been installed.

To this day, I don't understand!! But, yeah, it will only install one way... which ever way it wants to!

The first picture shows the engine with the stock pump, the second is the finished engine with the Carter pump.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

I just thought you chero guy would lik to see this nice ride....jh
    Last edited by falcon cobra; August 22nd, 2012 at 04:17 PM.

Gene came by early this morning and helped me lift that 4-speed into place. I then rebuilt the shifter mechanism and got that bolted on.

While I was cleaning up the shifter Bill Williams came by and I took a break and went and looked at the 302 short-block and headers he picked up. Then he hauled me to Lowes to buy a sheet of ply for my sub box my brother-in-law is eventually going to build for me (thanks again, Bill).

Then I measured for the drive-line and went out back to look at the two I had, just to see if I could make my own for now. When I picked up one of them it looked oddly similar to what I was going to need to make. The new one needed to be 1.5" longer than the stock 6-cylinder drive-line... and this one was 1.5" longer. I began to wonder then what elves stopped by and build me a drive-line that was the correct length and with the correct ends on it. Well - thank you Mr. Elf.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; August 7th, 2011 at 11:14 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"