Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weber adapter for Ford L6 144/170/200/250

Weber adapter for Ford L6 144/170/200/250

I know a few of you may want to do this adaptation to your car - going from a stock Autolite carb to a Weber. I've been looking at this for a few weeks and Kenny dropped off his patterns (from when he did it) at the park the other day. The more I look at this cobbled mess; look at the adapters on-line; Kenny's adapter; and mine - I say there has to be an easier way! Well... easier for me anyway.

So I think I am going to try making something like this. It really should not be very hard to make and will reduce the stacking of adapter on adapter. Essentially one plate that will bolt to the log and accept the Weber. Gouging out the aluminium will be the niggly part.

There may be clearance issues too, which I've not foreseen, but we will see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; May 4th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I just pulled out a 65 head I had stashed in the shed to discover the adapter pattern you supplied Kenny is for a bigger carb base. So that isn't going to apply here. Also, the angle is much different. The difference won't make too much of a change from what I drew above, other than the recessed Allen-head cap screws will be under the Weber gasket a little more. I think it's going to work pretty good though... if I can work out the machining part of it.

Jeff, were you going to use a big-log head or a small-log head?

I'm seriously thinking it might be good to have this spare head reworked with hardened seats and swap it out too... while I'm at it.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; April 27th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post

Jeff, were you going to use a big-log head or a small-log head? :
    I hadn't gotten that far along in my thought process yet... I didn't know there was a difference. Clearly, I will closely be watching this thread.
    Last edited by Jeff W; April 26th, 2012 at 11:19 PM.

I got it about half-way done before I had to retire inside. It's coming along pretty nicely. I'll be grinding all the internals with a die-grinder and drill and counter-bore the recessed screw holes. Studs in the corners - and that's it.

Is really a pretty simple adapter. I'll bore a hole for vacuum to the PCV and another on the end for the rod I need to make for the bell-crank. Have maybe 2 hours in it so far.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

It's been a few days since I was able to work on this again, but have it mostly done now. The only thing I have left to do is to measure for and create something to mount the bell-crank swivel. I will have to pull the carb on the car to get that figured out.

Also, there is a stop on the carb that interferes where I have drawn an arrow. Not a lot, so I may be able grind something away. Needed to counter-bore for the Allen screens first to see how much meat I had to work with. Kenny mentioned having a thicker fiber gasket to insulate the carb better, but if I had about a 1/4" or 5mm thick gasket, it would clear this section just fine with no more grinding. Kenny, if you have any information on what it is you used - that would help.

Other than that it's a 3/4" thick adapter. No other bells or whistles. I do need to drill and tap a vacuum port still too, just need to see where best to put it. That's easy.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; May 2nd, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

You do good work Roger! Do a search on eBay for "PHENOLIC SPACER WEBER" and there's a 5mm one that appears at the top. I got mine from that same seller for $10.25 + $3.50 shipping in Oct 2010. The one up now is $18 +$4.50 shipping. Inflation??

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Thanks Kenny, and thanks Kenny.

I know a lot of cars that use this style carb all had thick base gaskets. I may swing by my local Napa store and see if they can pull anything off the shelf too. But thanks for the heads-up. I'll bring you all your patterns and such back at the meeting. And include my own to the pile for the next guy.

As for making these to sell, I have about 4 hours into it so far. I'm not sure I could make any money off of them, but I made it all using tools I had and a drill-press. Not sure most would want to use their wood-working tools on aluminum, but it is surprisingly similar to working hardwood. The forstner bits look just fine. A couple rounded burr bits in a hand-drill did the rest.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"