Thread: What is the best LED replacement brake light/tail light?

What is the best LED replacement brake light/tail light?

Has anyone found an extra-bright LED replacement that they would recommend as a replacement for an 1157 brake light / tail light bulb?
    I would like to have brighter brake lights/tail lights on my 1963 Falcon. When I look on e-bay at the LED replacements for the original 1157 light bulb I get confused.

A lot of the LEDs have a base that will allow them to fit into an 1157 socket, but they do not seem to have the dual filament bright/low function of a brake light/tail light bulb.

Some of the LED replacements have different upper-portion dimensions that the 1157 bulbs. They are longer than the 1157 bulb and will not fit behind the tail light.
    Would it better to get a white or red LED?
    What is the maximum watt rating that can replace the 1157 bulb?
    LED tail light bulb.jpg

Youll find the led bulbs are not any brighter.

The original design was for the light to reflect off the housing.. hence the reason they're shaped like a big bowl and reflect the light through the lens.

While the led bulbs might actually be brighter you will notice the bulbs all face forward focusing all the light straight out to the rear. Basically you will have a bright spot in the middle of the lens.

My suggestion is to restore the tail light buckets and use a 2057 or anything with a higher wattage..

Other wise look for the led disc style bulbs where the leds are mounted on a circut board disc about 3" in diameter..

Dont forget you will need a led friendly flasher to make the turnsignal work.

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan289; January 13th, 2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling errors damn tablet keyboard
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I run these front and rear. Buy the red for the rear and amber for the front. They are very bright. Note that most of the LEDs are facing to the sides.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ed-tower-/814/

You'll need to make a modification to your dash turn signal indicator if you go with LEDs in the front. I used a couple of diodes to keep the voltage from leaking through to the other bumper lamp. Note that without the diode mod, both front lights blink when the turn signals are used.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

You might want to check these out:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/

They have lights shining forward and off to the sides so they hit the reflectors. I bought one from this company for my motorcycle that has white lights shining down to illuminate the license plate.

Most people recommend getting the same color led as your lens.

This is the brightest one they carry at 420 lumens:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ed-tower/1166/

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Here is a photo of my car with one LED and one normal bulb.

Patrick Brown

What pat is showing would work great.

Instead of adding diodes I've heard they make a special flasher that allows leds to work correctly.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

The diode mod has nothing to do with that flasher. One would still need the low-load flasher.

The diodes are to keep stray voltage from reaching the opposite turn signal. Our cars have a single dash mounted turn indicator. If you were to study the factory wiring harness you would see that it does not actually have a ground. Instead the two leads go to each of the front turn signal lamps. The old style filament bulbs have a fare amount of resistance. It is this resistance that keeps the opposite bulb from lighting. When these bulbs are changed for LED, the resistance is lost. The result is that both front turn signals flash regardless of which way the lever if pushed. Two diodes can be added to the dash indicator to correct this. A ground must be added. It would help to see a diagram. I'll try to put one together.

Another option is to modify the turn indicators so that you have two. The high beam indicator can be relocated and the original bulb could be used for the left indicator. No diodes needed here and much simpler to wire. You would just need to find a new place for the high beam light. You would also want to change the left red tape for green so both turn lights are the same if you want to get picky.
    Last edited by pbrown; January 14th, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
    Patrick Brown

It is really only the turn indicator that doesn't have the ground as Patrick indicated and this single indicator always bugged me. I corrected for it on my Ranchero and may also figure a way to do it on my wagon. Have to look at the bezel closer before commenting on that.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...=9236#post9236
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"