Thread: I believe my fuel pump is bad, possibly...

I believe my fuel pump is bad, possibly...

I have a 1965 Ford inline six 200 ci with the smaller peanut three speed manual trans behind it.

The car has not been started for possibly two years but ran last time I started it.

Today it would fire up and run fine for five to ten seconds if I poured a very small amount of gas into the carb, but no fuel was being pumped to the carb while the motor ran. I started the motor about ten to fifteen times like this and let it run until the small amount of fuel ran out. Still, no fuel going to the carb. The filter on the carb is clear, the fuel lines from the gas tank are clear, no obstructions.

The clear inline fuel filter between the mechanical pump on the block and the filter on the carb "appears" clear but I did not remove it and blow through it to see if there were no obstructions, but it is a transparent body for the filter and I see no rust, no sediment, nothing that could be obstructing fuel flow.

I removed the fuel line near the gas tank and felt for "suction" while the motor ran for the five or so seconds using the fuel poured into the carb, there was very weak suction.

So here is my question, does anyone believe that maybe if I removed the fuel pump and fiddled with it or lubed it, that it would begin to work properly again?

I will replace it if I must but no sense in wasted effort if it does not need to be replaced.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

As usual, I thank you all for taking the time to provide your input! Thank you!

The Fairlane sounds nice.

Good morning, Wilbur.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    So here is my question, does anyone believe that maybe if I removed the fuel pump and fiddled with it or lubed it, that it would begin to work properly again?
    I would say .... no.

The fuel pump only has an arm that moves up and down and a rubber diaphragm and two flap valves. About the only thing that could go wrong would be for one of the rubber pieces to crack.

It is possible to rebuild a fuel pump.
    See: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ical+Fuel+Pump

But, it would be a surprise if your car had an original fuel pump on it and a new one only costs $35. When mine quit I replaced it with one of these:
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...93300_806779_0

“Airtex mechanical fuel pumps are the only mechanical fuel pumps manufactured in the USA. Advanced polymer pump diaphragms help ensure consistent performance in multiple fuel blends. Coverage for classic, performance and non-fuel injected vehicles.”
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 19th, 2015 at 02:57 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Wilbur, take the fuel line off at the carburetor and put it into a jar or bucket. Pour fuel into the carb and start it like you were doing. See if there is fuel being pumped into the jar. If not bad fuel pump but if there is fuel being pumped you probably have a stuck float in the carb or the small seat valve is stuck not allowing fuel into the carb.
    Give that shot because a new fuel pump won't fix that.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

So many carb cores I bought - for a certain other project - had hammer blows to the tops of them because floats stuck in the closed position and needed a good persuasion hit to free them up. Many were so warped they were useless. So do exactly as Steve said to see if that test works. If the pump works, DONT USE A HAMMER TO FREE THE FLOAT. Get a kit and rebuild the carburetor, our use something soft-faced if you have to hit it.

Also the other side of this is to pull the line going to the tank from the pump (suction side) and attach a short hose going into a gas can. If it pumps, check from engine to tank - inch-by-inch - for failures. You can have a rotted hard fuel line or hoses to the tank.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"