Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 62 Exhaust

62 Exhaust

My 62 Falcon(200ci) has been having overheating problems for about a year now, I've tried every suggestion I've ever seen on this forum, with no luck, now I know I'm an old coot, and maybe I've spun a bearing in the old noggin, but I've got an idea and I need your input, I just noticed that my exhaust is running about an eighth of an inch from my tranny pan, do you think that might be the cause of my overheating problem?, it seems to me that it might cause the overheating at idle, but it seems like at freeway speed the wind would draw the heat off, what do you think?, could it be the cause? can I put a shield between the pipe and the trans? Thanks.

I don't think that would do it.

Can you detail what you have tried as a remedy?
    When does it overheat?
    What makes you think it overheats (temp gauge, steam out the overflow, other)?
    Does it just run hot or to the point where you have to pull over because the temp is about to peg?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

62 Exhaust

Hey Jeff W, It does the whole show when it overheats, with the steam and everything, I pull over as soon as I see the temp rising too high, as far as what I've done, I've had the radiator backflushed and tested, I installed an electric cooling fan, then I installed a six blade fan, I installed a coolant recovery tank, I had a new less restrictive exhaust, I had it tested for combustion gas in the cooling system, new water pump and hoses, I'm not sure if I left anything out, but I think that's it.

Check timing and fuel mixture?

Easy solution to your proposed idea is to run an external trans cooler.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Are you sure that the radiator is not clogged? Had a similar experience many years ago, rad shop supposedly flushed and checking the radiator, turns out all they did was give it a coat of paint...most frustrating automotive experience of my life, as I ended up doing everything else, including removing and replacing the cylinder heads, until I came back to the radiator and discovered that it was junk.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanGeorge View Post
    I've had the radiator backflushed and tested
    To sort of echo kbuhagiar since this is the main heat exchanger. It sounds as though most everything you can do has been done, but maybe the radiator is just not able to exchange enough heat for cool. I've got a couple other suggestions.

Usually, you can run the car with the cap off until the thermostat opens and see how well the fluid is flowing as you rev the motor and let it come to idle. You should visually see the water level suck down as you accelerate showing the pump is able to suck fluid well.

The exhaust being hard-up against - or within 1/8" - is pretty close and I'd probably shield it some if you can. Add an auxiliary tranny cooler (mini radiator) if concerned. It will help your transmission at the very least and keep a few degrees of heat out of the radiator at best.

Worst case is the entire block is totally sludged up and water can't circulate well. Maybe even some blocked passages between block and head. Get a good coolant system cleaner and a flush kit.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

62 Exhaust

Hey Luva65wagon, you said something that really caught my eye, when I check for coolant flow with the cap off, it appears to flow fine, but when I rev mine, the coolant just pours out of the radiator instead of drawing down like you said, I think you might have just nailed the problem, what do think that could be, reverse flow water pump?, plugged water jacket?

Not sure they had reverse flow pumps for a 144,170,200,250 block. Maybe?

The pump "pulls" from the bottom and is supposed to circulate fluid though the block and then force it out the top (thermostat allowing it, of course). Anything that lets it pump to the top but not as-quickly pull from the bottom - I guess - could be causing this. I assume the lower hose isn't collapsing? These can/should have springs in them to keep them from collapsing under the suction from the pump. Basically there shouldn't be any restriction to flow except the thermostat. If there is, you're gonna have to start from the bottom and work your way to the top.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"