Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Got a lead on some parts Don.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Anyone know know why the square holes in my bumper are so much bigger than the square shank of the bumper bolts? I'm wondering if the bolts are not correct.
    Or if I buy new bolts...wondering if they will be bigger? I had a heck of a time getting some of these off.

Also....looking...

Rear view mirror

Flywheel...I went to my tranny place and they said They don't turn them anymore they just buy new ones. I haven't seen any new ones for a 61 online...any ideas please let me know.
    Don, I looked online to order new bolts for my pickup[ and they all wanted upward of $30 for a set. I bought 6, with nuts, from Tacoma Screw for less than $10. I have to polish the stainless caps, but that's easy. I can't tell from the picture what size yours are, but they sell them up to 9/16" thread diameter. I think the Falcons used 7/16" thread, but I got 1/2" for my pickup and they are still a little sloppy.

I was digging in my parts bins this weekend and found this:

mirrorbase1.jpg mirrorbase2.jpg

Yours if you need it. You can buy the mirror re-popped.

If you are talking "machining the flywheel surface" (assuming this is a clutch car), then 'buying new' is a joke. May be true for a newer car, or a Mustang of any year, but not a Falcon 6 cyl. Find a good local auto machine shop. They'll do it with the correct step height.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

You are the man Roger

That mirror base is perfect. Same PN. My mirror is actually fine, I just need the base...I'll take it.

Bolts...just measured and these appear to be 7/16th. Tacoma Screw here I come-I'll try for bigger ones...and a funny thing, I dropped off the bumpers for plating today the guy told me he thought I could get them at McLendon's hardware...said I just needed to polish the caps. I'll be getting into all the polishing in a few weeks...I have more than a few other bolts to try to match up too.

Flywheel...that's what I figured. I'll call around- there's probably someone I drive by every day on the way to work that can do it.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

...I just need the base...I'll take it.
    I'll grab it and keep it with me so no matter where I am, there it is.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Anyone know what this stuff is and where to get more of it or a suitable substitute? (My car was in the sun and heat a lot...and this stuff literally turns to powder when you touch it.)
    This is the padding behind (under) the panel directly under the rear window.

Also, anyone know where to get the fiberglass like stuff that is behind the front kick panels?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don, That's called Jute Insulation. I'm sure if you google it you'll find it in rolls.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

As usual....thanks Roger. That got me going in the right direction.
    Macs sells it pre-cut...$25. And in case anyone else wants to know what this area is called...."Package tray"

[URL="http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_late/rear-window-package-tray-jute-insulation-pre-cut-jute-fiber-ford-all-sedans-and-hardtops.html"]

but it does look like I can buy something suitable cheaper by the roll out there.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

So...my "While I'm at it" list of stuff to buy is getting quite long...I'm trying to save one of those $18 orders that with shipping turns into $35 because there's nothing else to order from that vendor on the list right now...

So...I ceramic coated the manifold and it's a beautiful tungsten gray now.
    The old manifold bolts- and those spider-like lock washers around them. They are a nice rusty-red, but functionally seem just fine.

First of all the finish of the new ones is "natural" so what exactly does that mean? Will they look just like the old ones by next year?

If I clean up the old ones..they look pretty nice (see the pic for old vs new)- maybe even nicer than the new ones- sort of an antique look. Any kind of rust preventative that will work on these at all?

(fyi, I spent lunch Tuesday at Tacoma Screw and bought quite a few new bolts and screws...but they didn't seem to have these.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Package Tray Insulation

Macs sells it pre-cut...$25. And in case anyone else wants to know what this area is called...."Package tray".
    Hello, Don.

I bought one of the pre-cut package tray insulation pieces and installed it on my my car:
    package shelf insulation.jpg

It prevents the package tray from being loose and rattling on top of the metal below it.

Thanks, Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 22nd, 2015 at 05:03 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Don, Have used this stuff (brush-on version) with very good results:

http://www.eastwood.com/factory-gray...p-coating.html

Kind'a pricey, but held up very well.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"