Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up Vikingblu

Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions.
    Dave M
    1963 Ford Falcon Futura convertible 170ci auto.
    Arlington Wa

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    My bad, that's what I get for not waking up before I read this stuff...
    Actually, I've had that dream,,,,,,V8,C4, 4 wheel discs,,,,,
    I definitely have to alleviate the 58-61 mph shimmy first.
    Dave M
    Arlington Wa

Modernizing

"Actually, I've had that dream,,,,,,V8,C4, 4 wheel discs,,,,,"

Here is another view:
    You have a beautiful car and you can enjoy it just as it is. A 50-year old economy car will not, and should not be expected to, match the interstate-highway performance of new cars (my opinion). Keep it at 60-65 mph and your Falcon will be happy to take you anywhere you want to go. The drum brakes are fine if they are in good repair, you don't tail gate, and you keep your speed down. The 170 "Special Six" is a reliable engine that provides adequate power (Ford called it "Thriftpower"), and good fuel economy. The spark plugs are all easy to reach and the manual-choke, one-barrel carburetor is as simple as it can be and is easy to re-build if that is ever necessary.

There is nothing wrong with a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic. It does just shift one time and it seems a little odd until you just accept it. It was Ford's first automatic transmission. It was introduced in 1951 and was simplified and given an aluminum case in 1959. The gear ratios are the same as in a three-speed manual, except that the torque multiplication of the torque converter takes the place of the manual first gear. The first gear in a 1963 manual transmission was not synchronized, meaning you could not downshift into first while the car was moving. This meant that people spent most of their time shifting between second and third while moving, and the two-speed Ford-O-Matic did the same. People back then would not have noticed much performance difference between the Ford-O-Matic and the standard three-speed that they were used to. The Ford-O-Matic provided the safety feature of locking the transmission in "Park" in addition to having the parking brake, and it also made it impossible to accidently start the car while in gear and having the car lurch forward. The Ford-O-Matic was a popular option in its day and in about half the Falcons sold, people paid extra money to have a Ford-O-Matic.

"Fordomatic Drive features simplified design, light-weight cast aluminum construction, vacuum-controlled throttle valve for smoothness, minimum servicing. Torque converter in combination with compound planetary gear set. Gear ratios (no 1): Low 1.82, Direct 1.00, Reverse 1.73, Converter (Stall) 2.4. In “D: range gives brisk, smooth starts in low. Effective engine braking in “L” position. Air-cooled with 144 Six. Air and liquid cooled with 170. Selector lever and quadrant on steering column, sequence P-R-N-D-L."

Gear ratios:
    Fordomatic Transmission gear ratios: 4.37*, 1.82, 1 (1963 Sixes)
    3-speed manual transmission: 3.29, 1.83, 1 (1963)

*1st and torque converter. The 1963 Fordomatic has a torque converter multiplication of 2.40 (sixes) or 2.05 (V-8) when the turbine is stalled providing a maximum overall reduction of 4.37 or 3.73 when the throttle is hit hard. Stall is an operating condition where the turbine is stationary and the engine throttle is wide open, making the rotational speed of the impeller as high as possible. Stall can be approximated to when a vehicle moves from rest. Maximum torque multiplication occurs instantaneously as the vehicle begins to move.

FM leaves em behind.jpg

Fordomatic Adverisement.jpg

Fordomatic Information Brocure.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 7th, 2013 at 07:30 AM.

enjoy as is

Interesting facts. Thank you for sharing.

Back in 1977 my dad purchased this car for $1700.00 with new paint, top and carpet. About a year later the paint faded. I compounded the paint back to an nice luster. Well a year later it faded again. Grrr. About that time my oldest brother had returned from the Air Force and was chomping at the bit to work on a car. So we convinced dad to R&R the motor, chrome and paint.
    My brother swapped the tired 170 with a shortblock from an exchange service, and had the head rebuilt . Dad and I pulled all of the chrome and trim, he said he knew a guy that would re chrome all the bits.
    I spent two months stripping the faded paint, with a longboard and 80 grit by hand, (once down to the original paint I switched to 180) and refinishing the the body, with Ditzler acrylic laquer. 1 gallon of color and one gallon of clear. The trunk, doorjambs and underhood are still original paint. Wet sanded the clear with 600 and compounded. (34 years ago).
    Dad and I reinstalled the new chrome and trim. I bought a new grille and HL surrounds from Ford for dads birthday. (I still have the original grille).

Around that same time I had purchased a 63.5 Raven Sprint project, driver, which included 8 or 9 wire hubcaps.
    We cleaned them all and selected the best 4 caps and installed them. Dad preferred the wires over the smooth type. I still have those and the other four wires too.
    In recent years during the nice summer days, we would take the Futura to Burgermaster in Kirkland on Saturday evenings, for burgers and shakes.
    Car does need some attention , minor in nature, but should be reliable for many years to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave M
    Arlington Wa

The Blue Wonder Falcon

Jay Leno says that sometimes he will buy an old car just because of the story that goes with it. Your story is amazing. $1700 back in 1977 would have been pretty expensive. Your Dad must have really been smitten by that car. And then you and your brother must have fallen under its spell also to be willing to put so much work into. And that was back when old Falcons were still everywhere, and most people just thought of them as old cars. And now you are still driving it and talking about what work each one of you did 34 years ago. Amazing. That is a very special car.

I love your bench seat! The second picture shows how it lets you spread out and get comfortable. Your upholstery looks great, and I can see that you have a padded dash and a lace-on steering wheel cover.

Everyone looks happy in the photos. Thanks for sharing them.

I really love Falcons. They just seem to draw and radiate happiness and good times. When people see mine, they light up and smile and say "My aunt had one!", "That was my first car!", or "My father had a beige one!".

Just got back from the xxx show, how bout a edsel, and the guy with the yellow one wants 21,000 for it . and a old buddy shows up with the cobra. he was in the oil business. [ pumped gas at the chevron station ] ....jh

That yellow falcon has been for sale for years...

Does he still carry a copy of mustangs and fords that the car was in?

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    Just got back from the xxx show, how bout a edsel, and the guy with the yellow one wants 21,000 for it . and a old buddy shows up with the cobra. he was in the oil business. [ pumped gas at the chevron station ] ....jh
    Shucks,,,missed a good one. I tried to get there, however removing the battery tray, cleaning up the mess and installing a new battery took longer than I had anticipated.
    Road test up to Lil Mountain park in south Mt Vernon via Stanwood about 5pm.
    Dave M
    Arlington Wa

expensive falcons

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Jay Leno says that sometimes he will buy an old car just because of the story that goes with it. Your story is amazing. $1700 back in 1977 would have been pretty expensive. Your Dad must have really been smitten by that car. And then you and your brother must have fallen under its spell also to be willing to put so much work into. And that was back when old Falcons were still everywhere, and most people just thought of them as old cars. And now you are still driving it and talking about what work each one of you did 34 years ago. Amazing. That is a very special car.

I love your bench seat! The second picture shows how it lets you spread out and get comfortable. Your upholstery looks great, and I can see that you have a padded dash and a lace-on steering wheel cover.

Everyone looks happy in the photos. Thanks for sharing them.

I really love Falcons. They just seem to draw and radiate happiness and good times. When people see mine, they light up and smile and say "My aunt had one!", "That was my first car!", or "My father had a beige one!".
    I paid 1500.00 for the Raven Sprint. I borrowed the money from my Dad. I paid him back $100.00 a month. Painting the Futura was in a way, intrest on the "loan".
    Dave M
    Arlington Wa

Beautiful weekend weather

Went for a drive Saturday with my daughter. I am amazed at the fuel economy of the 170. Stopped in at the Arlington Burger king where the hot rod club meets. Drove the backroads home.
    Dave M
    Arlington Wa

Details details.

Painted these pieces 35 years ago, shade was off a tad.
    Better now
    Dave M
    Arlington Wa

Stretching an old canvas

Top hadnt been up in probably 25 years. After spending half the day installing the fresh painted bits, I let the top soak up some rays. It was about .500" from pin /latch alignment.
    Got er done. Went for a drive/supper.
    Dave M
    Arlington Wa

Love me lol

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Luigi says: "Black-wall tires, they blend into the pavement, but these white-wall tires, they say look at me, here I am, LOVE me."
    4 new 185/80/13 Maxxis, slighty over sized, and a little soft, but so much better than the VERY old Sears weatherhandlers.
    Maybe a shock absorber upgrade soon as well.
    Last edited by Vikingblu; August 2nd, 2015 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Add
    Dave M
    Arlington Wa

Looking really good. Nice work! Such a clean car.

I suspect I'll need new tires on my wagon at some point and may try to find white-walls when I do. It has 14" rims though, but these are getting just as hard to find in a white wall tire.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"