Thread: New member

I just had my '63 Ford Falcon Futura shipped to me here in Washington. My grandfather gave it to me when I was in high school, around 1974. I rebuilt the engine around 1984 but life took me elsewhere and it sat in the West Texas sun for most of the time since then (with a few stints in garages here and there).

A mechanic got it running, but it needs a little more work to get on the road, and a lot more work to look to nice...

It seems like this will be a good resource forthat effort.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome David. Sounds like you have plans to make your car a beauty. Your pic seems to say some elbow grease with rubbing compound and a good polish would be a good start.
    Last edited by SmithKid; August 18th, 2015 at 03:33 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    Your pic seems to say some elbow grease with rubbing compound and a good polish would be a good start.
    Or he's only showing us the good side of the car!

Welcome David! Looks like a nice Futura from here. Feel free to ask us whatever you need to and we'll do what we can to help you along this journey.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Welcome David! What part of west Texas?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Got sidetracked...

So I fixed a couple of things to be able to drive safely, like pinning up the headliner, getting the horn to work...

Unfortunately, after taking it out for a drive, it started leaking oil and spilled a lot in the garage. It looks like it's leaking from the block someplace but the fan blew oil all over, so it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from.

At this point I'm thinking of taking it to a mechanic and am hoping someone can recommend someone in the South Sound area--the car and I are in Tacoma, more specifically.

Thanks!

The closest person to you is Don in Federal Way, but otherwise I have no clue where to suggest. Me might when he's back around to reply.

There are only so many places you can "blow" oil from. Oil Filter or timing cover/balancer seal are both up front, oil pressure sender in the rear behind the fuel pump. The fuel pump gasket, valve cover, or pan may leak, but it's usually localized to these perimeter locations.

If it's an automagic transmission, you may also have a transmission fluid coolant line running forward to the radiator, which might be loose or failing.

Maybe get a can of GUNK ENGINE DEGREASER to clean up the motor and then maybe you can save a ton o'money and see where it's leaking and repair it yourself? They are super easy to repair - mostly.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"