Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collector car insurance

Collector car insurance

Hello everyone,
    Has anyone heard of or used JC Taylor antique auto insurance? or Hagerty collector car insurance. I am intrigued by the lower annual rates but I need to be confident that the insurance is credible if I am going to take my kids for a cruise. thanks

Sean

I haven't used either of those companies. I talked to my current carrier, American Family Insurance, and the gave me a really good price on my '63. They said it would have to be professionally appraised, which costs around $300. I would save that much in my first year of premiums but I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. There were also some restrictions such as maximum annual mileage and not using it for a commuter vehicle. You may want to ask your current carrier what they have to offer. They may be eager to keep your business.

I use Hagarty and have had no claims, so I can't tell you how good they would be to work with in a real "situation", but I did some research before going with them and found nothing but good things said about them. They took my value no questions asked -- no $300 appraisal needed. I did have to send them some recent pictures from all sides, which satisfied their needs apparently. There are downsides to collector car insurance; like, no daily drivers, no parking it out on the street at night (it must have a garage for it at all times) and a few other things I can't recall this late at night. Anyway, if it's for anything close to a show car, this is the way to go. I pay $105 a year for full coverage. I paid just over $500 a year through Pemco (full coverage as well).
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I looked at some. The car must be kept in a garage. There is an anual mileage cap (5K I think). No racing and no NOS.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

insurance

Thank you Roger and Patrick for your helpful information about insurance. Since I do not use my Falcon as a daily driver anymore, I cannot see paying high monthly premiums. I also have recently obtained collector plates. Off the subject a little ,but I wanted to endorse Jake, at Original falcon interiors. He did a superb job recovering my seats in the original Rangoon red. I did the carpet and thats another story. Hope to see you guys at a meeting in the future. thanks again.

Sean

insurance

Sorry Jeff, A thank you for your response as well.

Sean

Sean,

I am just about ready to do the carpet on my '65. The one I am going to install is supposed to be already cut to size. Can you give me any insight into the install ? Any pitfalls, etc. I was wondering if any one knows an easy way to mark the holes for the seat belts etc. and now I am totally off the original thread.

Carpet installation

Hi Jerry,

Installing my carpet didn't turn out as bad as it was looking. I had some issues with my rear carpet peice which came up short. I was able to use my wife's clothing steamer to stretch it. I also spent time smoothing all the wrinkles out. I would use some 3m spray adhesive to tack the corners down and carpet to the padding. Lining up the seatbelt mounts was a little tricky. I would start from one side making sure you have enough carpet to tuck under each threshhold plate before you cut the holes in the carpet. I cut a small hole in the carpet over the mount and pushed it down over whick made a snug fit. I have heard that some people spray down the carpet first to relax it for a better fit. I hope this helps you. Dont,t forget to walk away for a while if you get frustrated.

Sean

Hey Jerry, I usually lay out the carpet and then take a poker, like a toad stabber, to locate the hole edges, then a sharp knife into the hole and cut a perfect circle, using the hole as a guide. Helps to find screw holes as well. Larger holes, I try to leave that to precise measurements from key components, or if, like a shifter hole, you can get a rough location to start and then pull the carpet over and continue to trim away a little at a time until it is all the way down.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"