Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 302 for Smithkid

302 for Smithkid

A few weeks ago, a neighbor offered me a new motor. As I knew my motor was tired, I went to see what he had. It was a 302ci long block (minus a few bolt-ons) with a cast-iron 4bbl manifold. He says he built it while worling at a machine shop (Jacobs) 12 or 15 years ago and never installed it in the van he had at the time. It is bored .030" and has new flat-top Wiseco pistons installed with a "RV" flat tappet cam (unknow grind) and new lifters. I've plastiguaged the mains and rods, and found all to be set at .002" clearance. A new double roller timing set is also installed. Valve job is also complete on stock heads.

So after some haggling and personal guarantees, I agreed to purchase it. I've been quite busy for the last couple of weeks, but today I got the heads and block painted.

I intend to keep you all posted so that I can get advice if I make a major error in re-assembly/installation. It has been many years since I've done any engine assembly, so this'll be a re-learning experience for me.

Attach are a few pics of todays painting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Nice! All the machine work's done. Does it turn easily?
    Last edited by EdsFunny; September 11th, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
    If it's running, take it apart and see why.

Turns like I expected it to. Just got to remember to use lots of assembly lube because it's been so long since original assembly that the lube has congealed. Also, I intend to spin it over for a while before I let it fire.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Tech Day?

When are you planning to put it in Gene?
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Great to see the tail-end of that Ranchero on that side of the garage.

The engine looks nice Gene. Can't wait to help put it in.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I'm not in a BIG hurry to install it. I want to have the old engine out for awhile to do some major spit-shining of sub-frame, inner fenders, core support, and firewall. Pro'ly try to do something with the underside of the hood while it's off, too. I think I'll be ready to pull the old 289 in the next week or so.

Got the threads chased and the heads on and torqued today after a couple of hours of honey-do's.

Anyone want to offer advice as to whether or not to soak the lifters b/4 installation? I've read that both ways are recommended.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I soaked the hydraulic lifters before putting them in my 240, I made sure all of the bubbles stopped coming out before installing them. Not sure if it made a difference other than cutting down on clatter upon initial start up. I have seen some posts where guys flush them with lacquer thinner first then pump oil into them. Some just use assembly lube and let the oil pump do the rest. I have never seen any negative effects from soaking them first.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

I take a lifter and place it in a little can with oil (I have special little stainless cans we used to use at work), chuck up a push-rod in the drill press, and using the drill press as a press, I "exercise" the lifter plunger in the oil until all the bubbles stop. Usually takes a couple minutes per.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"