Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shift collar needed

:rotflmao:

hmm that smiley didn't work..

Nathan

Oh, I do have the shift tube as well I pulled out of my wagon. I'm not sure if that can be bad per se. I think I left the shift levers on the outside under the hood, but I can't really recall. That was all done in another one of my 3-week try to get more done than humanly possible work sessions. I do know that "neutral" must be adjusted right or nothing will shift the way it's supposed to. Any slop anywhere means one of the levers may be still engaged keeping another from moving. But, of course, I'm sure you know that already.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

the weird thing was everything was working in this car..
    I've been driving it for a couple of weeks.. every now and then I would have a hard time finding first or reverse..
    Then one evening while driving home I went to shift from first to second and nothing.. it was like something was binding up..

I got the car home and played with the linkage everything seemed ok.. so I disconnected the linkage at the transmission levers..

Felt like the binding was in the tranny so I dropped the tranny... by the time I got the tranny to my work bench everything was working again?? so i inspected the inside anyways.. nothing seemed out of the ordinary and the tranny looks almost new inside..

So I took the column apart and everything there seems fine as well..
    So I'm replacing parts that seem worn or that could be part of the problem..
    My shift collar was actually cracked at the top hole for the roll pin.. I got really stupid and thought maybe i could weld it and drill a new hole.... yeah why are they made of pot metal anyways?

Now I have my dash all torn apart and started painting everything, becasue it needed to be done and i have nothing better to do while I'm waiting for parts.

Nathan

good news is my tranny mounts should be here today So I can get that off my work bench..

I just finished replacing the motor mounts..

I replaced u joints becasue i had the driveline out and replaced the rear output shaft seal while the trans is on my bench..

Do you know if the was a bushing where the shift arm meets the shift tube?? Mine didn't have anything and it seems sloppy there, but there might not have been anything..

Nathan

You know... I should remember, but I just don't... exactly. It seemed to me the shift tube went up into the collar and it was only keyed to fix it into place and down where the shift levers were there was a big spring that kept the tube pushed up into the collar. But it's been 5 years since I did the swap and I only pulled it apart... not work on it. Usually if I rebuild something I'll remember every minute detail. This was "out with the column" "in with a 4-speed" and as such it is somewhat a blur.

The tube has to be allowed to both return to the neutral position as well as align both the levers up for the tranny to be in neutral as well. Again, any slop you see anywhere may allow a lever (on the column or on the tranny) to stop moving before it's totally in neutral. So fixing anything with slop is a good first step.

I'm dropping the collar in the mail on the way home, so it shold be over the mountains in the next couple days.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"