Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update: Jay Leno's dream car the 63 1/2 Sprint

Yup. I know what you mean re: time and $$$! Mine was a conversion from 3-speed so I had most small parts, but the T-10 I acquired wasn't what I was told. It had to be majorly rebuilt.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Thats what I was told years ago by a sprint guy that a real sprint said falcon on the back and not futura, So who really cares anyway, unless your going to sell it ....jh

Thats what ive read on the internet and have been told too.

I find it odd if thats 100% true because my sprint seems to be low mileage, has almost everything else correct except the tail panal. The second owner who bought it in 1980 refers to it as a sprint. So it has had the sprint stuff on it for 30 plus years.

I care because i want to say i own a sprint.. not a clone..

My wife called somebody at ford in the historical department and they decoded the falcon as a sprint. Not sure how they figured that out, but i have a cool letter from ford saying it is.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

If the car was hit in the back they could of replaced it with a futura panel, sometimes parts come with no holes and they drill them, I have heard that some have filled the holes and redrilled then , some people go a long way to cheat, I thought about it a long time ago to make my futura a sprint, but how much more would I get if I sold it ? not worth the trouble....jh

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    If the car was hit in the back they could of replaced it with a futura panel, sometimes parts come with no holes and they drill them, I have heard that some have filled the holes and redrilled then , some people go a long way to cheat, I thought about it a long time ago to make my futura a sprint, but how much more would I get if I sold it ? not worth the trouble....jh
    I thought that was a Cobra. I knew something was off. Maybe it was the lack of stripes across the hood and roof.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I like my story. My car has a march 25th 1963 production date. Should make it an early sprint. Maybe the sales guy ordered it wrong or the san jose workers built it wrong.

Anyways I have documentation from ford saying it is and that's good enough for me.

It won't be matching numbers when I'm done anyways.. though for some reason I'm keeping the engine.. it has a march 21st assembly date.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

So thats what I get for trying to help a falcon guy out, maybe we should go to pacific race track sometime and give the falcons a run and some will see why it has a snake on the fender....OK....jh

Upgrade your Futura .....

JH/All 63 owners,

Here's the 63 1/2 Sprint Glove Box trim on e-bay today for $63.19 right now. So, if you would like to start the upgrade to a Sprint or replace and existing/missing piece here's your chance....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-FORD-FA...85784a&vxp=mtr

Jay Leno's fog lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    I also dont care for the fog lights..
    Jay said that this car was done in the spirit of the Monte Carlo Rally Falcons. See the fog lights in the attached photo of a Rally Falcon. Click on the picture to make it larger. I think that Jay ought to add the black racing stripe shown in the photo. The stripe went across the hood, the roof, and continued on down the trunk lid. Way cool.

Falcon Wins.jpg

I love that photo.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 10th, 2013 at 06:38 PM.

I do have all the "correct" badging tach steering wheel etc. sure would be nice to have the letter. When my shop is built, I will be making some changes, and keeping originals. Should have the shop done in90 days or so
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Update: Jay Leno's dream car the 63 1/2 Sprint

I am still going for the T5 in my car. I just can't afford the 3 grand to go through Modern Drivelines. Can't seem to find an affordable T5 anywhere. By the time I make it to the junk yards that have a T5 it is already gone. Soooooo if anyone hears or sees of one for sale please let me know. I will have to go through the process of adding the S-10 rear housing and related changes, but that is the only way I can go with my console. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker