Thread: AM Radio restoration

AM Radio restoration

I really like my original Falcon radio made by Motorola with the mechanical push buttons.
    Has anyone ever attempted to restore their AM radio?
    Mine sort of "works" but I can tell it's not all like it was. I did a little research over the weekend. I can send it out for $200 bucks (how often do I hear that...) For example: http://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/Resto.html
    They basically clean it, replace all the capacitors, check the tubes, lube the tuner, and fix anything else that needs to be fixed. It seems capacitors are typically what goes bad over time. Replacing them doesn't seem too difficult.
    There are also videos on youtube- one guys just plays the radio as is, then re-solders about half the connections- plays it again- it gets better, then re-solders the rest of them- and it then like magic it plays like a new radio. Cost of replacement capacitors seems cheap.
    Has anyone done any of this?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Capacitors dry out. They cause a lot of hum. They can explode. I've recapped just about everything other than car radios. Old tube radios and amplifiers. I've got a room full awaiting my attention. I have "in stock" probably 1000 different capacitors. And vacuum tubes.

Electrolytic capacitors, which are most likely to fail of all, are very dangerous especially in high voltage applications (117 volts). They've been known to kill people when they discharge. Car radio electrolytics are probably less potent, but the technician knows to ground each leg to discharge them first. Also, as a side note, most old capacitors have polarity as well, which sometimes you can't determine without a schematic.

There are other potential issues with tubes (you can get those, and caps as needed, from someplace like tubesandmore.com) and some replacement transformers. But may not have much in the car radio variety.

All that said... it's a potential DIY project, but I can assure you the guy isn't getting rich at $200. He's probably going to make way less than $20 an hour. Probably closer to $10. And if there is some other part broken he's probably got a hoard of cores to pull parts from.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

So...work is taking me home for a meeting this coming Thursday (but fly back Sunday). Hoping to drive the falcon to work Friday...and I'm thinking about this radio project again...possibly bringing the radio back with me. I have a nice quiet basement and I can put a card table there where nobody will touch anything. It might be cheaper to send it out...but this seems like a great project.

I did buy the Motorola service manual on eBay which at least has a nice parts list and schematic. (More pics later...on iPad now...one pic limit...)

So, a few questions for master Roger or anyone else that wants to chime in?!

The pic shows the list of capacitors...but my googling this morning hasn't found any of them with these specs. Any thoughts on where to find them?

I don't see anything on the parts list or in the manual at all about the tuning rope. I do see a lot of "clutch" parts. (When I turn the tuner now it slips...) Roger, is it for sure a rope in there? Or could it be a clutch slipping? If it's the clutch...I'm wondering if parts could be a challenge.

The manual says that for testing, I should use a battery, not anything plugged in. So...no extra car batteries close to my basement...any thoughts on cheapest 12v that would get the job done?

List of tools I should bring back? I have a list in my head, but I'm sure I will forget something...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Most of all the capacitors you should leave alone. They rarely fail and if changed could create a tuning need using tools you won't have. I see one electrolytic in your list which could be an issue, since electrolytic caps dry out and are the usual ones to change. These are usually in the power suppy circuit as opposed to the tuning circuit and can be a strait swap. If you cant find an exact replacement you can always go higher voltage, never lower, and capacitance increase of 20% will not usually be an issue.

I've restored tube radios, and electrolytic capacitors and tubes are common items to replace to get things working again.

I buy frim a place tubesandmore.com but there are other places I've used by searching and searching online.

I have a couple 12v power supplies, but you can also find 12v dry cell batteries, or even a motorcycle battery is small, but would probably need to purchased up there.

Have fun!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"