Thread: Road trip supplies?

Road trip supplies?

I'm getting ready to head to the Falcon Nationals on Tuesday, and would like to hear your suggestions for road trip supplies. I've put 19,000 miles on this car since I bought it in 2015, and it has been absolutely dependable after fixing a couple things. But, you never know...

So far I'm taking 3/8"-3/4" open ends, 1/4 & 3/8" drive socket sets, jumper cables, spare & jack, fire extinguisher, a fan belt and pre-mix antifreeze. And paid up my AAA.

Anything else you guys have found useful?
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

Maybe some hose clamps, electrical supplies, and tools, spare fuses, points, and condenser or spare ignition module depending on your setup, a spare coil, some oil, spark plugs, screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches (aka Crescent wrenches), and brake fluid.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Spare fuses is a great idea- hadn't thought of that; thanks.
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

Also duct tape and electrical tape.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Another great suggestion! Fresh out of baling wire, but I DO have duct tape.
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

Road trip supplies?

It is hard to take everything you might need. If I was driving to the Nationals I would be really limited on what could go along.
    You know, they say if WD-40 and Duct tape can't fix it, then nothing will.
    We trailer my car to Reno for Hot August Nights so I bring everything but the kitchen sink. Tool box full of all my wrenches, sockets, punches, hammers, tool box full of electrical tools, drill motor, grinder, small air compressor, large kit for electrical supplies, kit for fittings and clamps, kit with all kinds of odd items. Electric impact gun, all kinds of oils, lubes, belts, and above all. My AAA is up to date. Plenty of duct tape.
    I have had to tape the roof of my Winnebago back on twice when it got blown off in Nevada.
    I even saw on TV, a guy had a missing wheel on the front of his Subaru and he had duct taped a 2 X 6 board at an angle and was driving it down the road missing the wheel.
    Really sorry we aren't going to Sacramento, but I needed the money anyway to replace the tires on my trailer and lights. Got those done today.
    Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

So I'm back, and had a great time. 1500 mile round trip, no Ranchero issues at all, arms out the window the whole trip, and averaged 21 mpg. Camped at Shasta Lake Antlers campground the 1st night, two nights at the Crowne Plaza during the Nats, one night at Doran Beach campground at Bodega Bay, and one night at Richardson Grove park in the Redwoods. Got to tour Sonoma raceway, and met world class driver Greg Pickett, who was testing a Mustang. My only complaint was the toasty weather in the Valley, but we found relief at the Crowne Plaza lounge with its cool marble bar top, fabulous bloody mary's and Sierra Nevada pale ale. The FCA put on a great show; here's some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

Road trip supplies?

Sounds like you had a great time. Really sorry that Carol and I couldn't go, but it worked out best for us. I needed the extra money to replace the tires and lights on my trailer for our trip to Arizona with the car later this year.
    Do you know about how many Falcons were there? Thanks for the pictures and glad everything went well. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I talked to Monte Brachmann of the Pacific chapter, and he said around 200 had registered; the cars were spread out over several locations, so a head count would have been difficult.

Also, I ran into Mike Garrett, the guy you mentioned in an earlier post that was traveling from Maine. He had a front wheel bearing issue on the road, but got it fixed and continued on.

We didn't stay for the full event; me & my buddy were melting in the 90-100 degree heat, so we headed to the coast, and took old Hwy. 1 and 101 back to Portland. Surprisingly, my Ranchero did better in those temps than we did!
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

FCA National Convention

We attended the Convention in Sacramento looked for Beerbelly but didn't find
    170 officially registered but we did not have our car so around 150 plus
    cars lots of friendly people. the weather was a little on the hot side but bearable lots of great raffle prizes,tours,BBQ and Banquet
    first class job to set up passed a 1962 Ranchero with
    sacramento or bust written on truck he did make it ,3 speed 6 cyl no air maybe a day late

My last National was in Sacramento in 2001? Or there-abouts. I grew up in Sacramento so I know how hot it can get. I'm too acclimated to Seattle weather now so when I go down to visit I don't do so well.

Glad it was a good trip down and back - can't beat the Redwoods drive.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"