Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trunk Area

Trunk Area

Last August I was getting ready to paint my 64 Futura but I came out of retirement to help train new folks at Boeing. Decided to wait on painting a while then the cold weather hit.....then while I was waiting for the warm weather I decided to work in my trunk area. I have built a fiberglass surround that holds four subwoofers and an amplifier. It covers the fuel fill tube. A couple of pictures attached show all the parts spray bondo'd to check for final fit.
    I fabricated a cover that fits on the lower surface of the trunk lid but I am thinking of scrapping that and just installing triangular panels to fit on the bottom.
    My intentions are to paint the car 1996 corvette yellow and the parts in the trunk will be gloss black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BadBird; March 23rd, 2009 at 06:30 PM.

Wow! That is smooth work. Can't wait to see it in paint. Where do you keep the spare?

Trunk area

Spare? Who needs a spare? I will just make sure when I drive it that someone is going along with me to carry the spare.

Nice job on the trunk. I hope to see it at a show this year.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Man... that is too cool! Would you be willing to help me learn to do that? I have an idea for what I want, but would like to learn from someone who's done it. I'm sure I could muddle through it, but it looks like you've got it down to an art. Probably would only take a half-hour to tell me the steps. Please? Pretty Please?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Trunk area

I can show you everything I know about the subject. I had never worked with fiberglass before I started this so I am a rank amateur. I like you had an idea of what I wanted to do and got most of my help on the "how to's" from a web site. I am going to try and attach it here. http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothrea...postid=4057927

The guy who posted this info on that site has also helped explain some things that I couldn't figure out. He is extremely helpful.
    If I can do this I guarantee anyone can. From what I've seen of your car you are far beyond me in "auto talents" so it would be a snap for you. It just takes a lot of time. Can't even guess the number of hours of sanding I've put into these parts.

That is some amazing work. I really don't think it's as easy as you say though. Look forward to seeing it at next show.

Jerry Kirby
    '65 Falcon Futura

That was a great tutorial compared to many I've seen. I appreciate the link!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Trunk area

He covers almost everything a person needs to know. I did send him a couple of e-mails since I didn't know what "Cat Hair" or "Spray Bondo" were. The boxes that the material staples to takes a whole lot of planning and rework to have it all come out the way you want.
    After you look at his thread on their site and follow his path you can see by the pictures I am posting that I just copied his style.
    First I built the box as he did, then stapled fleece to the box and rings. Next I pulled the fleece over the body at the trunk seal area. Applied one heck of a lot of resin. Applied fiberglass mat and cloth to the back sides and on the finished sides.
    That process was followed at the front main piece, both side pieces and both back pieces. Then I followed the same format to build the corner covers around the hinges.
    I used the Cat Hair material as he did to close off the joints between all parts and then spray bondo was applied to give it's final sanding surface. I am about ready to primer and hope to paint them this week.
    In that process there are numerous "Aw s*&^'s" and a whole lot of sanding, re-doing things that just didn't look they way I wanted and a lot of messes to clean up. Here are a couple more pics but I don't see a need to post very many since his thread gives very detailed directions.
    If you look at his thread you can read some of the questions about cost. He mentions that he charged the owner around $9000 for the labor and stereo equipment. If mine comes out looking anything like his work I will be happy, but he is a professional and as I said, I am a rank amateur so my expectations are not the same, BUT.......neither are my costs. So far I am at one tenth of that number for the materials (wood,fleece, fiberglass and resin, bondo, spray bondo, etc), the CD player, two kick panel speakers, two rear deck speakers, four sub woofers and the 2000 watt amp. Free labor!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

So, where did you get the fleece and "spray bondo" (which I've never heard of either?) Were they locally purchased or mail-order?

My little project is nothing at all of this scope. I just want to make a mirror image of the spare-tire cover with maybe a 10 or 12" sub for the drivers side of my wagon. I have two 8" speakers in a flat panel now, which sound "just OK" compared to the rest of it which is really nice now. I want more of a textured finish as well to make it look like the finish of the spare-tire cover, not shiny high-gloss like the one in the thread you forwarded. Now that I see a good step-by-step I can move forward a little faster.

FWIW, I've been working on my stereo over the past few weeks and now have something that sounds really good (right John?) but it just lacks the solidity of the low end. And heck, I have a 1000w Alpine amp just for subs, so a couple cheap Fosgate 8"ers aint cutting it.

The place I bought all my stuff from (Car Stereo Plus on the corner of 164th and Meadow near the WallyMart) wanted $1500 for this little project. I said (to myself), thanks, but I'll figure it out myself.

So... do you have a circle cutter or did you cut the holes with a jigsaw?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"