Thread: Seeking alternative to factory radiator for '64 Falcon V8

Seeking alternative to factory radiator for '64 Falcon V8

Hi, before I begin, after reading responses on other forums, I should say a few things first. I have owned about thirty cars in my life, maybe more, I've built a few from the ground up, and rebuilt about half of a few more. I'm no whiz, I'm not a mech. by trade, I just learned by doing, and I have some skills but nothing to brag about.

I'm not looking for anything other than specifically what I'm asking in my question, and hopefully that will save anyone the trouble of writing about having my current rad mended or a new anything, or Griffin something or others.

The radiator in my 1964 Ford Falcon two door post sedan with factory 260 V8 and three speed manual trans blew on me, and rather than have it soldered up or replacing it with a new one or replacing it with an expensive aluminum radiator, I want to head to pull apart or pick n' pull and pull a modern radiator from a car.

So are there any modern rads with their lightweight plastic tanks and alloy cores that close in dimension to the Falcon radiator and that have the same location for the hoses?

Has anybody found a similarly sized modern alternative that pretty much fits right in with maybe only some new holes drilled for mounting?

Thank guys.

Wilbur,

Don't have an answer for you, but here are some things to consider. Most all new radiators are cross-flow style, mounting will be different - that's a given. Because a cross-flow radiator is typically wider and a Falcon compartment is pretty narrow for the rad, you'll have to get a very narrow cross-flow, which will be for a pretty small car I'd suspect. Cooling capacity for the '64 was sufficient, but not overly so. Most new cars as long as they had a motor equal to the 4.3 litre size of a 260 c.i. and had the outlets in the right place - should be sufficient to cool it.

So, I'd grab a tape measure and measure your core support (height/width/depth) and look for a vehicle in the bone-yard with a large V6 or small V8 with a radiator not too large and with fittings on the right places.

Or just buy a good replacement made to fit for less than $150:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=2172
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 2nd, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Hm, I was planning on going with the aluminum one from falconparts.com.

Any comments on that one?

WILBUR, I saw a couple of stock, used radiators on the local CL under the seattle listings.

Most everyone who buys aluminum get a Champion. It's the most popular. These are fully welded parts and Smithkid has his second, a replacement for the first that was leaking, now leaking too. Getting all those seam welds tight, with aluminum (which is a tough weld item anyway) is clearly tough to do. Probably a small percentage that fail, but Smithkid already saw two failures.

That said...

The one on FP.com looks very similar to mine with what appears to be stamped top/bottom tanks, as opposed to welded plate aluminum with hard angles. I got mine off ebay. Can't find it on their now, so will have to look deeper when I'm at home. I will say you'll get most any radiator off ebay for about $150 as opposed to the $260 price I see at FP.com. You didn't mention as Wilbur did what you motor was, so I can't point you to a specific radiator without knowing that.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"