Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

So far so good on the temp.
    Well, I didn't really get anything done this weekend but it sure was a great visit with the family. Plus...I put around 100 miles on the falcon and got these new floor mats for Father's day. (which i found on sale a while back.) They look great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Hi All...checking in. I was just thinking this morning I hadn't seen many forum updates...and probably because I haven't posted much! Then I ran into a guy with a 64 Comet. A two door with a 260. Finally I'm caught up.
    I've been spending all my time maintaining everything else while the weather is good up here and making zero progress on the falcon steering wheel.
    Looks like my parents are coming down for a weekend in September at the same time Carole and I will be home so ...my Dad will finally see the falcon!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Dads reaction

Really excited for you Don! Cant wait to see/hear Dads reaction.
    (a street lined with Falcons and the crown jewel in the driveway)
    Dave M
    1963 Ford Falcon Futura convertible 170ci auto.
    Arlington Wa

Be sure to have him standing on a carpet or something. You don't want him to hurt the bottom of his jaw.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

.I need a like button for those comments. Thanks guys.
    Now The reality is... Dad will tease me a bit by pointing out several things I missed or jokingly (sort of) question a few of my decisions...(you put carpet in the falcon???) but I'll simply switch answers between "Grandad would've done it that way" and "that's the right way to do it" and "I enjoy working on it so I have to save a few things for later."
    Of course he'll be very proud and taking it for a ride with my Dad is going to be a priceless event for me. My Dad is at a the age where it's possible he might not ever make it back up here either.
    For me, it's just impossible to drive this thing without smiling ear to ear. Its hard to explain, but Its almost like my Grandfather or my father is sitting there next to me.
    It's amazing how a car can bring generations and friends together. Assuming my sons have kids while I'm alive that's at least five generations. Add to that, all the friends I have met through this project.

Meanwhile...no progress on the steering wheel yet...
    Last edited by dhbfaster; August 9th, 2017 at 10:31 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

HI All,

We were in town over the weekend and my parents came out for a visit complete with rides in the falcon. It ran great and I changed the oil for the first time since the rebuild too.

My Dad brought a few CD's of old pictures including the Korean war, and also pictures when I was really young (like my Baptism), and a few years later...there was this video, of the falcon in the snow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Very nice. So, what was your dad's reaction?
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

First, in case it wasn’t clear, that is my Mom and Dad in the car but this was my Grandfathers car, my Dads Dad, then it went to the family lube-n-go business, then my Dad had it for quite a few years, then back to lube-n-go, then to me.

My Mom actually bought a 1960 Comet new so she really enjoyed the ride. That said, you can see the look on her face that sort of says...”is this thing really going to run?” Or “I don’t think this is quite as safe as my Subaru...” She was amazed how well it ran. (I always am too)

My Dad...kept saying “I’m so glad you were able to do this when I wasn’t” “and it’s great that your kids and someday grandkids will be able to enjoy it too.” And “boy, you really did a beautiful job”
    That was huge fun- and of course there’s no way I could have done this without this club and a few of you in particular.

By the way, Roger...thanks for the wires for the door dome light switches! I’m glad I’m building a nice little list of projects to really finish this nicely when I finally return to Washington.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

It is always a good feeling when you can share with your family a memorable moment; which, I'm sure this one was huge. I am thankful, blessed really, to have been able to participate in that in some small way.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"