Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shift collar needed

Shift collar needed

Hello,
    I'm looking for a gently used shift collar for a manual 3 speed.. I guess there were all the same from 60 to 65.

I'm looking for the collar where the shifter arm attaches.. the roll pin in mine is worn out causing difficulty finding reverse and first.

I tried fixing it and well I made it worse..

Nathan

Hey Nathan,

Is this something you're needing before the regional show? Sorry I don't have a lead but I'll keep an eye out. I once had one from a Comet that had a cool light behind the lens (this was for an automatic) but sold it on eBay. I decided I didn't want to try and fish another wire down that steering column!

I would strongly recommend trying to find a NOS part or get a repop for $30 plus $8 for a new rubber insulator. Every used one I've seen at swap meets is worn to death and that's just the automatics I was interested in. I'm sure the manual shifts are even worse since they get way more use.

And they're such a PITA to change it would be worth it.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Kenny,

Yes this is something I need to get the car back on the road for the July car show I'm registered for.

The problem is no one has any repops available.. seems that the guy that was making them quit..

Macs antique auto supposedly has on for the tune of $158..
    I've only been able to find a whole steering column on e-bay and it would cost $100 to ship it with no guarntee that its any better than my old one..
    I'm trying to locate one through other sources and I'm not finding much luck..

I may have to convert to a floor shift, but rather not..

Nathan

Yikes! $158 does seem a bit pricey. I would think $50-60 was more in line. So did you give Ron at http://www.falconparts.com/ a call? Does he know how far out they are yet?

Ask Ron if he has any of the larger pins he sells with the collar. Maybe he can sell you one for cheap and you can mount your old collar with the arm in position into a drill press (or a hand drill if you have a steady hand) and drill a larger whole to round it out a bit. You should also buy a $8 bushing or "insulator" too. This will get you by for a few years.

I'll also ask a few people I know who may have one and let you know by PM.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

kenny,
    I've tried ron at falconparts.. I have my tranny mounts coming from them. $30
    I've tried dearborn the next most expensive at $60
    I've tried falconconnection or thunderbird connection they were the cheapest at $25, they were theones that told me that the guy that was making them quit and the over seas can't make them right.
    I tried macs auto parts they were the $158

I even e-mailed Northwest falcons in a slim hope that maybe they'll go look..

I would try the larger pin idea if i hadn't gotten stupid and tried welding it.. thin metal and soft..

I have the new isolator bushing..

Nathan

Nathan,

I have one I'll give you. Just tell me where to send it and I'll send it to you. I converted to a 4-speed and have both the collar and the shift lever somewhere around here.

I think I know where....

It's been a few years, but IIRC it was in really good condition.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; June 29th, 2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: dluoc I esuaceB
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"