Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tie rod ends. L & R, or not?

Spring perches.

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Dennis, Where did you buy your "easy turning "elastomer" swivel spring mounts" (for the front)
    and do those install with the spring end side towards the outside of the car?
    Thanks...
    Hello, Don.

I ordered the "High Performance Coil Spring Perches" off e-bay for $103 from Maryland Mustang. These are from a different dealer but are the same part for $120: http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4DZ-3388-HP...35b532&vxp=mtr

I looked at the driver's side spring (left) and the lower cut-off end of the spring faces inward. This shot is looked from the front to the rear. The spring end is behind the tab that is on the right in the picture. On the lower left side of that tab you can just barely see the cut-off end of the spring. (I had the Moog 8088 spring shortened by one coil length to make the car sit level.)
    1-DCP_6029.JPG

Here is a photo of the elastomer perches. You can see where the tab is on the perch. Those tabs are positioned on the outward side on my car.
    Spring perches with synthetic elastomer bushings.jpg

Here is a shot from the back of the spring looking forward.
    2-DCP_6030.JPG

Thanks, Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 10th, 2014 at 02:49 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis-

With the original-style spring perches the cut-end of the coil always went on the fender apron side of the spring perch. I've not looked in a book to show this is always the case, but it has always been that way on every car I've worked on - which is quite a few. You have it with that tab, and the cut-off end of the spring on the outer side - away from the fender apron.

I know you didn't install these, and I don't think, with the elastomer version it is as critical, but the "stuck-in-place" perches might want to eject the spring if the direction it is stuck in place was tilted in the out-bound direction.

Here's a couple pics I found on the Net that speak to this.

mdmp_1103_20_o+1972_ford_mustang_mach_1_front_suspension_upgrade+new_spring_perch.jpg

1301.jpg
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Backwards perches?

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    With the original-style spring perches the cut-end of the coil always went on the fender apron side of the spring perch. You have it with that tab, and the cut-off end of the spring on the outer side - away from the fender apron. ... the "stuck-in-place" perches might want to eject the spring if the direction it is stuck in place was tilted in the out-bound direction.
    Hello, Roger.

Here are my thoughts:
    1. Darn it!
    2. Well, I am glad that I posted the pictures. I would not have known about this otherwise.
    3. I was told to bring the car back to have the alignment readjusted after a few thousand miles. I can have this taken care of at the same time.
    4. How could the spring get ejected? Where could it go?

Thanks for the info.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Question

Roger....strange.
    Is this another difference in later models from the 61?
    That orientation has been confusing me...attached is a picture form the 1960, 61, 62 manual. (Sorry about the angle and over zoom...) This manual definitely shows the end of the spring on the outside towards the tire.
    The other pic is of my falcon before I removed any parts...I'm pretty sure it hadn't been worked on before (no way to know for sure), but as you can see it is like the manual- towards the outside.
    On falconparts.com (the only place I found that mentions orientation..) it says the new ones should be mounted opposite of the original--towards the inside instead of outside, and it says they are to fit 1960-1970. Here's the link: http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...HES-18p892.htm
    Meanwhile..I do a goole search, and looks like most are to the inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Theory

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    This manual definitely shows the end of the spring on the outside towards the tire.
    Here is a suspension diagram for 1960 - 1965 Falcon and it also shows the spring on the outside towards the tire.
    60 - 65 Front Suspension.jpg

I just looked at my car and saw that its right-side front suspension is consistent with the left-side and the spring end is towards the outside.

Falcon Parts.com says "... the spring stop on the original (freely rotating) perches was to the outside of the vehicle, on these (nearly immovable) replacements, the spring stop is to the inside of the vehicle."

I added the comments in parenthesis.

My "high-performance" freely rotating perches mimic the original brass bushing perches, so the outside perch spring-stop positions are probably OK.

My theory: The rotating perch allows the spring to press against a level base and it should not make a difference if the spring stop is on the left or right. If the perch is stiff it would not maintain a level base. Under that situation having the spring stop on the outside of the control arm gives it a winder arc of motion than it would have on the inside. Perhaps under an extreme circumstance the spring stop could drop far enough below the spring end to allow it to escape. The spring would probably not fly off, but it would be unsecured and allowed to rotating back and forth. This would cause friction and increased wear on the spring perch, spring, and upper mount.

Happy Veteran's Day!
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 11th, 2014 at 06:21 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Clearly, once the spring perch went from a rotating item to a restricted movement item, the trend changed from spring-end out versus in. I think had they "set" the angle with the spring-end stop on the outside, and high, rather than inside and low, then that's how we'd be installing them. Having the thing with a forced angle dumping towards the outside, then I can see the spring wanting to pop outward - if that were to happen in some rare instance.

The fully rotating parts makes this all a moot point, I think, and you're probably OK Dennis. And you probably are too Don if you are reusing the old perches. As long as they are not wore out. Do it by the book.

Even with the rotating perches - getting the springs in is a pain. It seems getting them compressed enough without having the compressor interfere with the spring perch, has always been a greater challenge while putting them in than it seems it was when taking them out.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"