Thread: Strange lock button issue

Strange lock button issue

Anyone seen this problem before??
    See the pics...every inside door lock button sticks up out of the door like this.
    Several different platic buttons, but some of the rods stick way out of the doors. In fact it's easy to bend them when you push down on the button to lock the door.
    I don't know if the plastic buttons are just not correct, or the rods inside are not correct...very strange. I'm assuming there must be a reason for it and someone else has had this problem?? As usual...thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Buttons look right.

Maybe the rods are in the latch incorrectly?

Dunno you stumped me there.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Not having looked into a 4-door car before, I'm not sure what it is either. I know the 2-door setup pretty good and these rods go down and loop upwards before they go into the latch assembly with a typical clip, like those used on carburetor linkages. Looks much like the letter "J" and perhaps someone pulled hard on it and bent the rod. They should stick up through the door maybe about 1/2" prior to screwing on the knobs. Over time these latches get gummed up and maybe it got harder and harder to unlock, causing the rods to get pulled further and further up. Look at the rods and if they are looking more like the letter "I" instead of "J" then they need to be bent back again and the latch lubed up.

The rear doors, since the door lock is way forward of the latch, which is in the back of the door and the pull is in the front of the door, probably have some cantilever action up front to transfer up/down action to forward/back then back to up/down. This I'm uncertain of. Would need to see one for myself.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"