Thread: Old Car Safety
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 05:14 AM
Senior Forum User

Bad news and good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
I still notice a vibration in the 55 - 65 mph range that is not there at other speeds.
Olin Mott tire shop says: "Is your vehicle vibrating at certain speeds, say, between 50 and 70 mph? If so, chances are your wheel is out of balance. Look for these signs, and if you find either one, come see us:
Scalloped, erratic wear pattern on tires.
Vibration in steering wheel, seat, or floorboard at certain speeds."

See: http://www.olinmott.com/service-desc...heel-balancing

They were describing my problem exactly. I went there yesterday to have my new tire mounted and had all five wheels balanced.

The bad news was that they said that the two left wheels were out of round.
The good news is now that the problem has been identified it can be fixed.

When they spun one of the the wheels I could visually see that it was not quite round. They recommended against moving the tires off those two wheels because the tires would have worn to the shape of the out of round wheel. They put the new tire on the wheel that was in the trunk and put it on the left front. The previous left front wheel went in the trunk, and the two rear wheels were swapped to opposite sides. This put two good wheels on the front, one bad wheel on the right rear farthest from the driver, and the other bad wheel in the trunk as a spare.

That made a big immediate improvement to the feel of the car. It is nice to drive without the steering wheel vibrating.

So, .... I need two good 13-inch 5-lug wheels. The February National Falcon magazine listed an ad from a guy in Colorado who has those wheels for $50 each. I just sent him a request and asked how much they will be with postage.

It will be fantastic if I can get this car to run vibration-free at highway speeds.

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Last edited by ew1usnr; 02-13-2016 at 05:17 AM.