Thread: A 64 daily driver getting JAYBUILT

A 64 daily driver getting JAYBUILT

https://www.flickr.com/photos/461232...n/photostream/ day i got it home a few months back
    Last edited by jaybuilt; January 27th, 2015 at 06:30 AM.

Hi all !
    my name is Jay/JAYBUILT ......nice to meet ya.

hear is the story.

way back in high school 1978 I worked at a carwash all summer and bought a 1973 dodge Polara an x CHP car for 400 bucks.440 magnum, 727,posi, shotgun rack and all.
    I didn't have my license yet but I drove it to school anyway.man what a tank that car was.we would pile in that car at lunch and run around town doin burnouts as long as a city block it hauled some serious ***. I was hooked on muscle cars the first time I heard that thermoquad wide open and my spedo reading 120mph as I tried to keep just in front of the billowing cloud of smoke as I crept around the corner of our little town.I knew my future was going to be in cars.I sold that and bought a 68 charger with a 383 aqua blue white vinyl top,and white interior not a dent on it. This kills me 800 bucks !!

Meanwhile I bought and sold a bunch of other cars and got a job as a engine machinist for Main auto parts. Life was good, my last year in school an older guy I grew up around told me he wanted to sell his 55 Chevy post 327 4 spd. I always loved that car and had to have it.so i sold the charger to my best friend Tony and bought the 55.

About a year after graduation Tony another good friend Steve and I were up in the hills raisin hell and I lost control of the car and hit a utility pole head on at around 80 mph. Almost killed the three of us but didn't.
    for the last 35 years I built allot of fast cars trucks and bikes only they were for someone else. I just lost something in that crash a part of me went to the scrap yard with the 55 that day .
    I Got married divorced kids grew up and moved on now it is just me again.

I guess I finally got over that car crash and decided to build myself a quick little car before they are all gone. I found a 64 on Craigslist and I bought the little thing.

it had been sitting in a guys garage for 27 years ! I had to unbolt the garage Door to get it out. Took it home and had it running that day and the next day got tags for it and we started our new life together. 289 ,C4 shift kit,411 posi …..all installed 27 years ago.

I had not had it running for three days when I got a call from my mom in taxes she was sick and I had to go . Mom got Cancer and needed some family with her .
    I live In California. Two days later me and the little falcon were on our way across the country and I had the time of my life.(mom is ok) I'll get some pictures up and show ya ware we are with this project.if I can figure out how.

Thanks for your time Jay

It was odd reading this story. It was like bits and pieces of a collage of my life. I never owned a Polara, but a room mate of mine did. I never owned a 55, but knew someone in my life that did. I loved the long hard-corner burn-outs as a youth, but they were in my first Falcon, as 62. I was in high-school in '78. Drove a while (as a youth) without my license. Got in trouble for it. Hit a phone pole one foggy California evening too. Built a lot of cars for other people faster than anything I owned (they had the money, I didn't). Anyway, funny comparisons.

Welcome. Show us some pictures of you new little [thing] Falcon.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    It was odd reading this story. It was like bits and pieces of a collage of my life. I never owned a Polara, but a room mate of mine did. I never owned a 55, but knew someone in my life that did. I loved the long hard-corner burn-outs as a youth, but they were in my first Falcon, as 62. I was in high-school in '78. Drove a while (as a youth) without my license. Got in trouble for it. Hit a phone pole one foggy California evening too. Built a lot of cars for other people faster than anything I owned (they had the money, I didn't). Anyway, funny comparisons.

Welcome. Show us some pictures of you new little [thing] Falcon.
    wow thats cool........ them were the days none gave a **** back then. after 47 moving violations they finaly got me in court and the judge suspended my DL for 6 years but I drove anyway and things piled up.

after a total of 23000 in fines from 99 moving violations 9 days in jail they gave me a class A with all indorsments and a motorcycle ind as well in 2013
    and now at 53 I am a truck driver. makes me laugh how stupid I have been in the past.thanks for the reply sir .

Nice story JayBuild! I thought I was hard core getting all those (uh...two a year, not 47) tickets back in the day in Texas and going to all the comedy club defensive driving classes to get rid of them (really...the first classes were sleepers a the community college, then in Texas some comedians got their course approved (comedy college driving) ...then I moved on to making payments to my ticket lawyer...and I thought 1 or 2 a year was BAD!! Those were the days. I would say more about all the racing around town and the crazy stuff back then...but my wife and kids might read it here.

Look forward to seeing how your project goes!
    Last edited by dhbfaster; January 28th, 2015 at 10:38 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

yep we could get away with hardcore fun back then.I wrote a book about my time growing up this is one of the stories from it. let me know what ya think.have a nice day and thanks for your time.

Betty Lou part 1
    Betty Lou was the name i gave to my 55 Chevy .
    I remember the day i met her as if it was today. I must have been10 years old at the time.
    It was raining all morning and I was having breakfast at Kenny's
    house. Kenny to me he was the coolest guy ever he must have been 17 years old then.
    When my mom,dad,sister and I moved up to the
    Santa CruzMT we rented a house from Kenny's father [Phil]. Kenny took me in as kind of a little brother and let me tag along with him. Well that morning we had just finished eating and were all sitting by the fire talking.
    As he digs in his pocket for Key's Kenny said I'm going to the store you going jay hell yeah I'm thinking while I jumped up and ran to the top flat and climbed in the car a couple minutes later Kenny jumps in making the car rock.I remember thinking how i couldn't Waite till i was big enough to make a car rock when I got in it. As he fires up the 396 and Try's to find reverse he barks at me....... you got your belt on yet jay?
    Pointing to the shifter I said yep and its over their Kenny.
    I know ware reverse is smart *** you got your belt on yet jay?

Distracted by the seat belt I forgot to duck and pow right in the forehead damn it he got me and smiles as he looks over his shoulder .See Kenny would put an arm up on the back of the seat when he was backing up the car and smack me in the head as he did so .all in good fun of course. I duck to avoid being hit in the back of the head when he returned his arm to the shifter. as he pops the clutch and we slide sideways into the first turn i still didn't have the belt on so I slid accost the seat and crashed into him giggling.
    Can’t drive with some scrawny kid in my lap he tells as he slides into the next turn and I slide back to my side of the car.
    loved going any ware when it was raining cause he would slide the car through every turn, man Kenny could drive .
    We have to stop at David’s for a minute he said as we turn up the dirt road to the ranch. Kenny comes to a stop at a little barn and we hop out into the rain and hurry for the open door. we step inside and their was David who i never met David was a curly haired soft talking guy working on a bright orange engine later on as i learned things about engines apparently he was installing pistons in the engine. I thought wow how cool is this first engine i ever saw apart and it was fascinating .the two of them talked for a minute
    and walked over to a car covered by a tarp they each grab a corner and pull the cover off Their sat Betty Lou a primer Grey fifty five Chevy post with nothing inside but to bucket seats and a shifter it looked so mean I instantly fell in love with it.

Rally wheels fat tires no bumpers, no chrome just striped to the bone badness. several years pass and I am a freshman in high school my Buddy Jeff and I were hitchhiking to school one morning and David pulls over to give us a ride in Betty Lou. the sound of that car was like nothing Else I ever herd Jeff climbs in back and I got shotgun David drops the hammer smoking the tires and speed shifted to second side stepped the clutch petal and the front of the car came up so you couldn't see the road any more shoving my *** against the seat then Dave hits 3rd with a big tire chirp i look over at Jeff and he is pointing to the speedometer it reads 90 MPH and pulling hard smoke the smell of rubber was engulfing the cars behind us. I had to have this car I thought to myself .it wasn't the most powerful
    car I had been in but it moved along good. Kenny's 56 nomad was a hard puller it only had a 327 with a 3 spd on the Flore but that car could loft the
    left front tire at 40 mph when he hit scorned gear but the thing was a rattle trap and we must have put 4 rear ends and 2 tranys in the car in a year. one day Kenny brought me with him to school for a single class he had that day.
    then we went to work on some guys car in town. That’s the reason I went along because I could slide under a car without a jack .anyway I pulled the drive shaft out on the side of the road for him and we were on
    our way home going by the high school at lunch time every body was on the lawn eating lunch.
    Kenny was the world’s biggest show off so he couldn't resist a wheelie in front of every one. I could tell he was about to do it because he waited at the cross walk for a long time to let the cars in front of him get out of the way. so we start a nice slow role through 1st and he grabs 2nd full throttle and lets the clutch go it was the biggest one he ever did it was bad ***. Must have been 2000 kids on the lawn clapping.
    Instantly getting me hooked on showing off.
    we get down the road a ways and something didn't sound right i look in the rear of the wagon and notice the right rear side window was out of place no sooner do I open my mouth to tell Kenny dose it pop out and shatter on the road Kenny didn't Evan stop.
    that wheelie twisted the car so bad the window fell out.
    the best car he had was a 67
    Malibu with a 396 four speed and a posi .that car was wild I spent so much time watching how Kenny drove the car sideways I must have learned something. When it was my turn to drive years later I drove just like he did may be Evan better. Summer before my Junior year I ran into David
    .one thing led to another and he said he would sell Betty Lou
    to me for 1500 bucks so I sold the charger to cat and borrowed the rest. a friend of mine[Daryl] that wound up buying my old cop car gave me a ride up the hill and i bought my dream car.
    What a day that was. When I drove down his driveway I was so happy I got a lump in my throat and tears were running down my face. The only other time that ever happened was when my little Jamie was borne.

Didn’t see how things couldn't be any better for me.
    my girlfriend was one of the hottest girl's at our school I was friends with the "jocks" because of meg and I grew up with the "bad boys”, I worked at main auto parts in in the machine shop rebuilding engines ,gas was cheep,
    my mom was great and gave me a ton of slack and my two best friends are still my two best friends and top all that off with a bad *** car that i paid for in cash. yep I was liven a dream that's fer sure.
    Some of them lasted for years. Meg and I went to every party we could to show off.

over that school year I did some work to Betty Lou that really mad her nice. I found a set of rims and tires from a trans am that looked great so on they went. installed a front and rear bumper, back seat, carpet kit, seat covers, driver seat blocks, Hurst dual pattern shifter,mo mo steering wheel, killer stereo,an automatic trans with a shift kit trans X member, new shocks, rear leaf springs, traction bars, exhaust that dumped right in front of the rear tires and a bunch of engine work .

my Junior year was the best year of my life so far.
    the hole year was pact with parties, football games, drag races, Mouton road racing, back seat sex, school dances, long nights on the telephone with meg, cutting school, going to the beach, long day's under the hood with Cat, many many hours behind the wheel cruising town, Doing burnouts and hanging out with my friends Back then i always had Skinard, Zz top, Journey ,Outlaws ,The Babies, The Cars, Molly Hatchet, and Montrose belting out their songs in the background. At the time I wasn't aware that those songs were recording my life for me and forever linking the times with the songs.
    hearing one of the songs today transports me back to that time so well I can remember the fragrance of the summer days before school the windows rolled down in the charger 70 degrees .I would pull up in front of Megs house and turn up the song on the radio and look down the driveway as my slender dark haired beauty runs up her driveway tosses her books on the back seat through the rear window and jumps in with a big smile on her face slides over next to me and says good morning Jay Louie .the sent of her hair mixing with the summer morning air was enough to make me dizzy.poping a bubble with he gum she would remove it and give me a nice long kiss and say something nice like car looks hot jay bay. I would slide my hand between her knees and grab the shifter pull it into drive and Jam off to school.
    Damn I got in allot of trouble with that car!! all that year i just raised hell .I have always been keenly aware that we only get the chance to be young once and i wasn't about to spend my youth following rules, being careful, I wasn't going to collage after high school so I sure didn't need spend time getting A's so that left me with an attitude for trouble and the time to find it.

Wow, what a story Jay. (Betty Lou) I like your writing style...felt like we were sitting around a fire drinking beers and you were just telling the story. I started reading it on my phone at breakfast this morning...had to leave for work. Then after I got to work and got through the hottest work emails...I had to take a .......uh break to go read the rest of the story!
    Last edited by dhbfaster; January 29th, 2015 at 09:06 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    ...I had to take a restroom break to go read the rest of the story!
    Don... TMI?

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"