Thread: Automatic Transmission for '61 4Dr.

Automatic Transmission for '61 4Dr.

My Falcon has been having a hard time getting into and out of park. Just this morning the mechanic told me that instead of needing a new transmission mount (the previous diagnosis) the housing is cracked all the way around and needs to be welded. Since his best case scenario was $1200, I'm looking for rebuild.

It is a '61 w/ a 144 straight-six, 2-speed automatic. Any suggestions as to where to look for one in W. WA?

Thanks,
    Grant

Keep an eye on Craigslist. They pop up from time to time. Often people are giving them away after upgrading to a 3-speed auto.

Another option would be to find a 200/C4 combo but would end up costing more.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Be sure it is actually an issue with the transmission. If the same mechanic mis-diagnosed the mount issue, he/she may have made a mistake again. Check out the shift collar (under the steering wheel) and the linkage.

True what Jeff says. It's a sad but common tale with these old cars. Mechanic says it needs a brand new engine, tranny, chassis when it just needs a new set of points or a vacuum modulator replaced. It seems that many young mechanics have never learned basic troubleshooting.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Welcome to the forum Grant!

Jeff has a good point. Hey, it happens occasionally! Can you describe the symptoms in detail? Do you mean you can't physically move the shift lever back to the Park position? Or do you move it and the tranny just won't disengage?

I had a shift collar break and had to get out, open the hood, shift, get in, drive, and hope I didn't need to shift until I got to where I was going. Did that for a week or so until I got the new part and painted it to install.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

If all else fails, I have a auto trans you are looking for. Not sure of the shape of it, but it is in my parts car. 61 4 door wagon. You are welcome to it if you decide that is what is needed. Steve H...

Thanks for the replies

Sorry for the lag in response time. I got discouraged and got busy on other items on the punch list.

The mechanic (not same as first) was recommended by a good friend so I tend to believe he's telling me the truth as he sees it, but they aren't in the business of older cars per se, so I don't know. He adjusted the linkage when he diagnosed it, which helped. Will check the shift collar. I am determined to get to the bottom of the problem this week.

Kenny, it is occasionally hard to physically shift it out of park and occasionally will feel like it has shifted into park but then slip or I'll have to shift into N when I go to fire it up again.

Steve, do you still have that auto trans? If I'm entering rebuild territory, I might as well just swap the whole thing out. Is it the 2-speed? Thanks for the offer!

Also looking for a dist. block to install a second master cylinder. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the replies. Also, thanks for letting me crash the meet-up last week. It was good meeting you all.
    Last edited by Skookum61; January 24th, 2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: additional information

Yes I still have it. Check out the thread Roger posted about the Ranchero's. We are parting out the wagon and that is still mine so any parts are free if you pull them. Not sure when Roger is going to plan the part out party but drop me a message and I will make sure it stays around for you. Steve..

Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, I can't wait until spring for the big pilgrimage. Working on the car with a buddy this week, so I'll know more then and see if we can get over there in a week or so to pull it if needed. Is there anything that I should know that would prevent this from being an "easy" swap (ie; messing with the driveline, etc.)?

I think they were going to try and come over in a couple of weeks?? Roger wants to take the one car home, and we will probably part out the rest the same day?? Keep an eye on the post in the event section part out party. Should be a date on there soon.
    Either way just let me know and I will hang on to it for you. I still have the drive shaft for it too. I would probably take it just in case.
    Thanks Steve...