Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carb work

carb work

I need to find a good carburetor person. Any suggestions ?

What kind of carburetor and what kind of work does it need? I've been known to fix 1 or few hundred of them.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

carb work

200 6 cyl engine with holey carb. Runs very rough when cold better when warm but still crappy. Misses and sputters on slow climb like my driveway . Very good compression , electronic ignition , new plugs and wires , fuel pump , filter , Wife says it pings when I get into the gas but I am almost deaf and don't hear it.
    Fell free to call me
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; October 27th, 2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Removed phone number for security reasons...

Ric, I'll give you a call Friday when I'm available next.

I assume you've checked timing on this as well? Pinging, if it is happening, would point to timing being too far advanced. Also, the Carb would need to have the spark control vacuum source. All stuff to check while you're at it.

The Holley 1 barrel is notorious for having issues due to warping. Actually, most 60 y.o. carburetors are pretty tweaked by now. I've been able to work past some of these issues before, but some I've seen are a too far gone. In these cases you'll need to be prepared for plan "b".

Will touch base tomorrow.

Roger
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Smile carb work

Thanks for calling I will check my voltage today and the timing too. I am looking forward to getting it over to you and having you help troubleshoot my issues.
    Thanks again
    Ric

No worries Ric. I'll text you over my address this week so you will have it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

carb work

LOL well I figured out that I am getting 9 v to my ignition but can't figure out which is the pink wire. Good grief
    Ric

I just texted you too.

The pink wire plugs into the ignition switch harness. Kind'a hard to see unless you lay on your back with your head under the dash. Ask me how I know. There is a short pigtail on the IGN switch connector with a female bullet connector and the pink wire plugs into it - then runs externally to the dash harness (taped to the harness) before terminating at one of the two firewall connectors. On the engine side this pink wire converts to a Red/Green wire going to the coil and to a brown wire going to the "I" terminal of the starter solenoid.

The pink wire is plugged in at the switch - rather than being hard-wired - because it is a service part and may need replacing.

So, this is how it works: When you turn the key to the "Start" position the solenoid activates and sends 12v to the starter (big wire) AND to the small brown wire at the "I" terminal. This send the coil the full 12v (up the brown wire to the connector, then back down the Red/Green to the coil) to start the car.

When you release the key (if engine started) the ignition switch is now sending 12v out that little pigtail to the pink "resistance wire", which by the time it reaches the firewall is now 9v. The 9v is now on the Red/Green and Brown wire too, though the brown wire leading to the solenoid isn't activating anything.

When you install an ignition system needing full-time 12 volts, you unplug the pink wire (tape off the exposed end of the pink wire) and plug in a regular wire there and run it to the ignition/coil - leaving the blue/green wire connected too. This allows the starter solenoid to also send 12 volts to the ignition/coil in the start position.

Note: this requires a coil capable of seeing 12 volts all the time. The stock coils can't handle full time 12 volts. Most after-market performance coils are rated for this service. If you (and I know you don't) have a stock coil you have to maintain the pink wire and tee into the IGN switch pigtail and run a wire ONLY to the the electronic ignition device and leave the blue/green wire on the coil to keep it at 9v.

I know, too much information...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Ric,

Anxiously awaiting a driving report to see how it worked out for you.

As I indicated you have a carburetor lacking the required Load-o-matic vacuum source to provide the distributor the correct advance curve. This, being one of Ford's better ideas, has to be maintained if you want any normal driving response from your car. You really only have a couple options. Get the right-type carburetor or get a distributor with both mechanical as well as vacuum advance. Both are hard pills to swallow since neither are cheap to accomplish.

Here's a link to a discussion on this:

https://fordsix.com/ci/Loadomatic.html

I do have the correct carburetor for this setup. I can get a lot of money for it ($250 or more), which make it a hard thing to sell to a local member. It would need to be refreshed since it hasn't been on a car for a while, but here's a bit of history with it:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...t=load-o-matic

Getting a new distributor is cheaper and the only issue you have is maintaining the Pertronix since "I am not sure" if the they make a points/condenser type distributor with vacuum and mechanical advance. A quick search on Rock Auto wasn't conclusive. They list the same "points style" distributor from 1965 to far past when the Load-o-matic era was supposed to be over, which is about 1968.

So, nothing is very clear about what to do - other than it is obvious that the shops who should know (ala a local Mustang shop) didn't make this obvious connection and still took your money. Reminds me of another shop someone used.

Here's a shop who did as reported here:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts...ormance-guide/
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; November 7th, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"