Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagon build

Wagon build

Here is the wagon fresh back from the paint shop and home in the $175 Harbor Freight garage.

It's pretty small but when the sun is out it is easy to roll up the side tarp and go to it.

oh.. the 2 x 12s are using the weight of the car to hold down the tent. You are supposed to stake or bolt it down to the ground so it doesn't end up in your neighbors yard. I thought it was a good temporary solution and helps my wife believe it will be taken down someday... a hard sell if I'm out there with the rotohammer and concrete bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff W; January 4th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Looks great Jeff. i hope mine gets to that stage some day..... Send me pics of those parts you need, or just stop by for a visit... By the way if you go back to when I first posted on Sedan delivery pics, it has a good shot of the roof rack on my car. I will get som closer measurements tonight if I don't forget....
    Keep up the great work it is keeping me inspired right now.... Body work sucks...

Very nice Jeff. And the wagon looks pretty good too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

It looks even shinier up close!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Kenny says, "Do one thing a day".

Lao Tzo said "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

Here are my "steps" last week:

1) Rebuilt both vent windows: Fifty years of California Sun can really do a number on those rubber seals. It's hard to believe that all those black chunks of ceramic looking material next to the bare window frame used to be pliable. It was quite a chore getting it removed from the frame.

2) Install the new hood to cowl seal and align the hood.

3) Strip the dash naked in preparation for paint. Whomever installed the Instrument Cluster at the factory must have been amazingly flexible. To remove one of the screws that hold a wire harness bracket I had my arm stuck through the speaker hole in the top of the dash. There was a moment of panic when I couldn't easily remove my arm from the hole... I had a flash of the recent movie where the lone hiker wedged his arm between two rocks and used his leatherman to amputate. I am not looking forward to the reinstallation.

4) Mount primary hood latch. I am pleased the painter did a nice job cleaning and spraying the underside of the hood. It was pretty rough when I brought it in.
    Last edited by Jeff W; March 2nd, 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Tomorrow's project: machine the division bars. These mount behind the vent windows and provide a fuzzy channel for the door glass to ride in. I chose the less expensive generic bars so I need to make the two on the left look like the two on the right.

Easy to do with a Bridgeport Mill. Not so easy with a hand held Dremmel. Guess which method I'm stuck with.

Jeff - are you going with Palomino again on the dash - and paint the doors that color too? Or do two colors? Looks like the doors are the green now.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yes, I will be going with the original color on the dash, doors, tailgate and all around the window trim. The body shop sanded all the ugly green off the inside of the doors and shot them when they jambed it. I thing I can just do a scuff and squirt on the doors.

It was a bit of a learning experience with the Palomino. After buying five cans of the expensive Falcon Palomino from Dearborn, I rudely discovered it does not match my original color. The Dearborn paint would be a match for your 64-65 Falcon Palomino. My 63 color is the same as 64-65 Mustang "Medium Palomino Metallic".

I just ordered eight cans of paint and three cans of vinyl dye in the correct color. It's a bit darker and... Umm, metallic. Thanks for the tip on National Parts Depot. Their paint is about half the cost of anywhere else I found.
    Last edited by Jeff W; January 10th, 2011 at 05:30 PM.

Spray Paint

Automotive Supply can match paint colors to be sprayed from a can....... They supply paint to alot of local body shops.
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Jeff, I couldn't find paint in a rattle can that exactly matched my color from Dearborn. I did get some of the NPD stuff and it was great - but I had more painting to do that I wanted to do with rattle cans, so that's why I mixed up my own. But that was a pain....
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"