Thread: converter stall

converter stall

Patrick has I think a C-4 and larry had one and now has a T-5 but what stall speed do you have or did you have with your converter? I need to get one other than stock. thanks ..jh

converter stall

Mine was a 3200 I believe. It seemed a bit radical for my liking. Something a little less maybe? Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Mine is a 3400 custom made unit from Edge Racing.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I was lead to believe the stall is to be about 500 rpm below cruse rpm, so lets say if it turns 3000 @ 60 it should be around a 2500 stall or its slipping to much. I could be wrong...jh

Hmmmm, mine is a stock converter for a 91 mustang with the 5.0. H.O. And it's 1800 stall? I ran this same setup in an early bronco and used a 1200 stall unit?
    Any transmission shop guys on the forum?
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Having been out of the loop concerning automatics until recently (like... as of last night) I have never tried to even figure out what "stall converter" even means. I know... and I call myself mechanically inclined.

I was always led to believe (from somebody I once asked) that the stall speed was the speed you had to achieve for 100% engagement of the converter. This was to allow engines with radical cam engines no load in-gear engagement rather than in neutral, then into gear, then into neutral, then into gear - doing so manually to keep the engine from stalling at an idle. When they accelerate and hit that RPM, by then they should be fully engaged. Whether there was some intermediate level of engagement - AKA slip of the converter - I don't know. Cause I don't know anything about this. But would really like to know once and for all.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I think you hit it right on the head Roger. That was my thinking but I am no transmission guy either. That was the reason for the lower stall on my off road truck. Full engagement ,no slipping. I think the slipping part is in the converter not the transmission though???
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    I think the slipping part is in the converter not the transmission though???
    As I understand it, yeah. You don't want slip inside the transmission under load for sure. Idling, maybe.

The torque converter is like a fluid clutch - and in fact I've read, and it was presented again to me this last week (John or Gene), that some have actually put a clutch in front of an automatic transmission somehow. It's been a while since I read about that - and it may have only applied to some ancient transmission. IDK. The "front pump" is directly connected to the converter, but I'm not sure it all that is doing the pumping. The converter is pumping too, I think.

But again, what do I know? Someday I will have to look into this. Maybe when I grow up.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"