Thread: Simulated wire wheel covers

Simulated wire wheel covers

I like the red, white and blue trim and the “FUTURA” name on the standard wheel covers that I have had on my Falcon for the last couple of years.

My Futura wheel covers.jpg

But, ... I saw a nice set of the optional simulated wire wheel covers on e-bay and thought that they would give it more of a “sports car” appearance.

My simulated wire wheel covers.jpg

The new wheel covers give my Falcon that Jaguar XKE look.

A example 2.jpg

The Ford advertisement for the wire wheel covers was a bit .... odd. What were they thinking? Maybe it was part of the build up for the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo.

1-Wheel cover ad.jpg

Here is the e-bay photo of the set of wheel covers that I bought. They are real works of art. The car manufacturers didn't make plastic wheel covers back then.

A Set of Four.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 3rd, 2014 at 02:21 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Very nice set! I really like them. They make the car look like it's moving even when it's standing still!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

My car came with those when new. They do look very nice. Are those the original 13" size? I think they were available in 14" for the Fairlane.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Thirteen-inch wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Are those the original 13" size? I think they were available in 14" for the Fairlane.
    I have original five-lug, thirteen-inch wheels. The small wheels were nice because they weighed less and were easier to change, they took up less room in the trunk, and they made the car car lower. The original 1962 Fairlanes had thirteen-inch wheels. By 1965 they were putting 14-inch wheels on the Mustangs, and I think the Falcons.

Previous to this Falcon the last car I had with white-wall thirteen-inch wheels was my 1981 Plymouth Horizon. I drove that car from about 1989 to 1994. I remember that those tires were easy to get at the time and were the "loss-leaders" that the discount tire companies advertised for real cheap. Times have changed. I had a devil of a time a couple of years ago finding a set of thirteen-inch white-walls for the Falcon. All cars have giant wheels now and no one uses little thirteen-inchers anymore. I think that my 2009 Honda CRV has eighteen-inch wheels.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 3rd, 2014 at 07:24 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Mine had the factory-original wire wheel covers and I just loved how they looked on the car! When I was considering switching to 14-inch wheels to accommodate front disc brakes, I grieved at the thought that I might need to lose those covers. However, I was sure I had seen Falcons with 14-inch wheels and wire wheel covers. After lurking on e-bay for a while I scored a set of 14-inch wire wheel covers originally used on a 1963 Ford Galaxy! I swapped the Galaxy center caps for the ones from my Falcon, and, voila, 14-inch Falcon wire wheel covers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

1963 Galaxie

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    I scored a set of 14-inch wire wheel covers originally used on a 1963 Ford Galaxy! I swapped the Galaxy center caps for the ones from my Falcon.
    Hello, Gary.

I checked on e-bay to see what the wheel covers for a 1963 Galaxie looked like. Did your center emblems look like this?

1963 Galaxie.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 5th, 2014 at 02:59 AM.

I loved my red/white/blue hubcaps so much that I was jumping through hoops trying to transfer them to 15" wheels. ( Front brakes, you know? ). I wish I'd known you were looking - I have a set of the wire wheel covers in the car parts pile somewhere.
    If it's running, take it apart and see why.

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Did your center emblems look like this?
    Yes, they did. Rather.. they do. I still have them.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4