Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monte Carlo Bar

Monte Carlo Bar

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find it via the Search function.

Will the MONTE CARLO BAR CURVED BLACK 1965-1966 from CJ Pony Parts $22 - http://www.cjponyparts.com/monte-carlo-bar-curved-black-1965-1966/p/MCB2/ work on my 64 Sprint or is there a specific Falcon one (FalconParts.com http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...-8-18p1084.htm) that costs $38 more that I have to use?

Thanks.

Those are both the same, but the price. I have a straight one and it fits and works fine...jh
    Last edited by falcon cobra; August 22nd, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

Are we sure the Mustang part and the Falcon part are the same? I think the Mustang width - apron to apron - is a little wider. Not 100% sure, but I know the drag-link is wider on a Mustang compared to Falcon. I'll have to call my friend Bill, with the 65 Mustang, and have take a measurement.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Here's some information I just found:

https://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic....=12691&start=0
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

That sure didn't seem very definative to me. Maybe I missed something or didn't understand? I read that thread as conflicting info depending on who was answering. Is the conclusion: You pays yer money and takes yer chances?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

There was a guy, about 3 from the bottom, who owns both a Falcon and a Mustang. I assumed because (I was told) the width of the frame rails is wider on a Mustang that it was also wider up-top. But this guy confirmed (because he had both) just the opposite - that the Falcon was wider. Then the last guy in the last post indicated this was because the Falcon aprons were taller. I think that's true because I used a 64-66 Mustang apron patch for the battery tray to mount the battery width-wise in the Flarechero.

Where everything is at between the shock towers, or where the belly bar would mount, nobody knew for sure. Nor do I.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Hmmm.... Maybe I'll take my chances and get a new sway bar for a Mustang.... They list for a lot less $$$ than for a Falcon.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Sorry, I guess I didn't look close enough and thought they were both for falcons, mine was about $38.00 a few years ago...jh

I'm running the curved bar from Falconparts.com. It fits perfectly.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Great, I'll give you $22 for it!

Quote Originally Posted by 64SprintV8 View Post
    Great, I'll give you $22 for it!
    Sorry but no. That won't cover the extra $225 for having it chrome plated.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Monte Carlo Bar

The Mustang curved bar does not fit the Falcon. They are a different width. I purchased the one from Falcon Enterprises also. Took it to Tucson with me. Got it chrome plated for $90.00 but I didn't have to ship it. Badbird / Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Pros and Cons

I am going to re-build my front end with new upper and lower control arms, tie rods, etc., and am debating adding a monte carlo bar and/or under engine brace into the mix. For you guys that have installed these, would you strongly recommend them? Or are their benefits offset by negatives?

The downsides include: (a) Increased expense and weight. (b) The pieces would get in the way while doing maintenance. (c) The under engine brace would decrease ground clearance and maybe get in the way of removing the oil pan. (d) They would detract from the original appearance of the car. (e) They might be unnecessary appendages.

On the plus side, they would push the suspension components back into their original positions if they have sagged inward over the years. This would help in setting and holding the front end alignment. Plus, they are not very expensive.

Here is a picture of Jay Leno's 1963 Falcon Spring with a 302 V-8. His monte carlo bar looks like it is just screwed into the sheet metal of the inner fenders. Is that where it is supposed to go? It doesn't look very strong. Is there any kind of structural support there?

Example Monte Carlo bar in Jay Lenos 1963 Falcon Sprint.jpg

Is a curved or straight rod better? The straight rod ($41) looks like it would be stronger. Does the curved rod ($60) fit better somehow? How much do they weigh?

Monte Carlo Bar - Falcon 1960-1965 64-35506 Macs .50.jpg

1960-1965 CURVED MONTE CARLO BARS - V-8 mcb-1 Falcon Parts .95.jpg

There is also an "adjustable" rod available ($170). How/why does it adjust? Does it pivot? How necessary is that? It does not look very strong,

Monte Carlo Bar, Adjustable, Polished Stainless Steel, Falcon,1960-1965 64-87871 Macs 9.99.jpg

The the U-shape of the under engine ($62) brace makes me wonder if it would really be very stiff when pushing inward from the tips and if it would be worth the bother. Does decrease ground clearance? How much does it weigh?

1960-1965 UNDER ENGINE BRACES - V-8 ueb1 Falcon Parts .95.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; August 12th, 2014 at 03:37 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis, the falcons are prone to flex at the shock towers. The Monte Carlo bar and the Z bar are both intended to eliminate that flex. Some bars goes to the shock towers direct, and some bolt right to the inner fenders. I made my own setup wich is probable way overkill unless you plan to race your falcon.
    Sway bars are good, the Z bar is good. I think Kenny has a straight bar that I coated for him he could let you know how his car handled with and with out it.
    Here's a pic of what I did. HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Dennis, I've recently done similar research regarding what I wanted to do under my hood. First, I have to say that my situation is different than yours as my car is in the restomod category.

My first consideration, other than "bling", is that I cannot imagine anything more intrusive under the hood than the factory export brace! So, replacing it with a smaller, stronger item is advantageous , and using a easily removable (pull a pin) piece even more so.

Secondly, though I'm not any kind of racer, I feel that anything I can do that may improve the handling, I'm gonna do. I have already added a larger sway bar (1") and lowered the front & rear ends appx. 2". I feel an improvement in the handling doing just those two mods. The export brace/monte carlo bar (which I already have) from www.mpgheads.com are my upcoming winter project. I'm going to add the under engine brace also. I'll probably add a rear sway bar. too, as my rear tires touch the fender infrequently.

Short of installing a rack & pinion as others have done, this is probably about the best I can do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SmithKid; August 12th, 2014 at 11:29 AM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs