Thread: Open diff to Posi-Trac

Open diff to Posi-Trac

I am wanting to swap out the 3rd member for a Posi-Trac setup for the 8 inch rear end. Are there any other changes that are required if I simply put in a Posi-Trac 3rd member?
    Corbin Johnson
    Roy, WA
    64 Futura
    347, C4

As long as it's a 28 Spline carrier you shouldn't need to change anything. You will need to run a friction modifier in your oil.

1965 Hardtop, 289, Top loader, Torino power disk brakes, Tilt steering, 2 speed int wipers

Mike Spears

Corbin,

If you are still shopping for one... I bought one off eBay after having installed one (a 9" version) in a 69 Mustang for a friend who purchased his from the same place. It was lower in cost from all the others I saw; plus you got to choose the ratio, and it shipped with the required friction modifier.

Of course I'm not where I can look up the seller info, but will look it up, if interested.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thank you Mike, I appreciate it.

Roger - Yes I am still looking for one. I wouldn't mind seeing what you have available. Please take your time, there is no rush. My plan for this week is to nail down a local engine builder for the stroker. I have it narrowed down to two shops and am going to visit one in Olympia today to see their layout and get a few questions answered.
    Corbin Johnson
    Roy, WA
    64 Futura
    347, C4

I bought my 9" parts from Quick Perormance , I had an issue with excess runout on the ring gear when I put it all together. They stood behind there parts and sent me another set of gears. Some good info on there sight as well

1965 Hardtop, 289, Top loader, Torino power disk brakes, Tilt steering, 2 speed int wipers

Mike Spears

I got mine from this seller if I recall correctly:
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/8-INCH-FORD-T...from=R40&rt=nc

If that link doesn't work for some reason, the seller to search for on ebay is: tj1141

Can't remember exactly what I paid at this moment (need to be at home on my computer), but I think it's gone up a little since I got mine.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"