Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Vibration

Odd Vibration

My 1964 falcon futura has a vibration at about 3000 rpm ish that is driving me nuts. I have a rebuild 200 which came with the car it has great oil pressure and compression , the c4 transmission was rebuilt by a local shop , I had a new drive line made for it , the differential was a ll redone , all the drive bearings are new the exhaust was done professionally I have all new wheels and tires. this vibration I have isolated to the engine or transmission which I had a new torque converter installed with the transmission rebuild and had installed a new harmonic balancer , water pump , fuel pump, alternator and fan blade. I made my buddy hold my exhaust pipe when i
    revved up the motor to the vibration and it doesn't seem to be a problem there.
    Any Ideas ? Any body good with this sort of thing ? I am more than willing to bring it to somebody if they think they have a good idea.
    Ric

I certainly don't claim to be "good with this sort of thing", however I did trace a persistent (speed related, not RPM related) vibration to a new Magnum 500 (Wheel Vintique) that was improperly welded and had 1/8" run-out. The wheel was replaced and cured the vibration. These kinda problems are difficult to pin down sometimes and can require a bit of luck to find. So.... Good Luck!
    Last edited by SmithKid; March 27th, 2017 at 08:08 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Since your buddy was holding the exhaust pipe, should we assume it has the vibration when the car is not in motion?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Odd vibration

The vibration is not motion related. It is RPM related so I think it is in the engine or transmission. It does it in Park or neutral and also when driving but it is clearly there when not moving at all
    Ric

Gary (MacDee) had issues with vibrations on the Falcon before I bought it from him and IIRC it ended up being the torque converter.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...5&postcount=43

Maybe you got his old one somehow?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

odd vibration

When the transmission was rebuilt they said they changed the torque converter. Still I think I will drive down and talk to them about it today.
    I went back to the guy I bought the car from last night. He went crazy over the car but said he did nothing to the engine . Darn I was hoping he was the one who put it in there or I could get a little history on it. Still it was fun to take it back and let him see it.

Odd vibration

Yeppers it has a new torque converter in it. I went back to the tranny shop to be sure
    Ric

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Gary (MacDee) had issues with vibrations on the Falcon before I bought it from him and IIRC it ended up being the torque converter.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...5&postcount=43

Maybe you got his old one somehow?
    Of course, Roger didn't tell you about the subsequent torque converter FAILURES!!
    If you do end up needing another torque converter, get it from Hughes Performance in AZ.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    Of course, Roger didn't tell you about the subsequent torque converter FAILURES!!
    True, I opted to direct him to your thread so he could experience it all for himself.

But it is true there were too many failures and "hopefully" the one in there now holds up. If it doesn't, a T5 may find its way in there.

But as for Ric's the only way to find this may be to do what you had to do and pull the transmission and put a flywheel on the motor to see if the vibration goes away or remains.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"