Thread: Generator to Alternator conversion

Generator to Alternator conversion

Hi Guys was wondering if any of you have done the generator swap to a alternator? I see Falcon enterprises has a swap kit or you can buy all the parts to do it. Just wondering if it's a simple job or does it open up it's own can of worms, like can you use your voltage regulator and do you have to swap out and replace any wires or is it a plug and play deal? I have a stock wired 64 Ranchero with a 351 Windsor. The reason why I'm asking is, I found an old retro set of Holley valve covers and I just had to put them on and of course there is clearance issue's between the valve covers and Generator.
    Thanks in advance!!

Ditch the generator and go with a one wire alternator. You just run a heavy wire from it to the battery and done. Ties up the harness from the gen, and done.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

You'll need one more connection to get your dash light working again but it's an easy project. Referring to the one-wire option.

Falcon Enterprises has a good and cheap bracket that works well if you don't want to build your own.

One advantage to the more traditional alt plus seperate regulator is that you'll find them in any parts shop.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I guess I like a challenge so I went the DIY method and have a separate regulator. But I've heard the one-wire works well too.

Here's a good write up on the process for a `62 Comet with a 170. Rewiring should be similar.

http://www.blert.net/comet/gen2alt/

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Here's a good write up on the process for a `62 Comet with a 170. Rewiring should be similar.

http://www.blert.net/comet/gen2alt/
    I used the wire diagram shown in that link, and... IT WORKED!! I used a 12-gauge wire splice for the "junction block".
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

So why would anyone want a alt. on a motor that had 500,000 miles on it and no oil changes. it's a wonder the timing chain even works in all the crud..nice picts....jh