Thread: Windshield washer question

Windshield washer question

Okay, I've got a new question... I have a 62 4-door 3-speed that has never had the windshield washer option installed. I know I need the reservoir bag (red), bag bracket, hoses, and a t-valve and as far as I can tell these can be still picked up at parts stores online. Now, I also know I need the nozzles and nozzle brackets and as I understand these have to be found off a used car. Is that right? Finally, how the heck does this whole thing work? My car has a little switch to the left of the clutch which I always thought was the high beam light switch (I don’t drive it much at night so I’ve forgotten) but is there supposed to be another foot operated pump pedal installed near here? If so does it then need to be tied into the electrical system to make the wipers work as well? As you can gather I’m sort of lost here, but I’m going down to Portland next week and Ron at NW Falcon is kindly going to pull some parts for me but I want to make sure I get everything and understand how to hook it all up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

Your car came equipped with vacuum operated wipers and manual foot pump operated washer. The silver metal button to the left of the clutch is the high-low switch as you thought. There shouls also be a black rubber paddle looking thing just above it which would be the washer pump.

It may be time to go with a more modern electric style. You can pick up a universal washer fluid pump at Schucks for cheap. You'll just need the tubing, t-fitting, bag, bracket, and a switch.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I have one of those foot pedal pumps in my wagon, but have never got a round to hooking it all up. May get to it this year. But when I was buying these parts I found another setup and bought it too and restored it while I was at it. So I have a fully reworked setup in a bin in my garage. It may be for the earlier than my car or for another model car. I'll pull it down and post a picture of it tomorrow... just in case.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks Roger and Pat,

I was able to find the little sprayers at that Pick and Pull lot down in Vancouver. Couple of questions, do the spayers have a rubber tip as I see some advertised but didn't know if that was for a different setup. Also, I found one of those foot pump things off a Comet that I think will work with my 62 Falcon. It was a round foot pedal (as opposed to the rectangle) but other than that it looks the same. I am struggling with how it connects to the wiper switch however. How does that work? I know it seems kinda silly given that there are much better pumps available but something about the absolute simplicity of the original system appeals to me. I has a certain charm and I hope to get it to work. Maybe if it doesn't I'll but your spare one Roger.

Thanks for your continuing help!

Jim

Haven't had the time to figure my wiring out either. Things are a bit different after I did the 2-speed wiper. I've yet to climb into the rafters to look at my other one, but if you need it, it'll be cheap.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"