Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Tires

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Dennis, how old are your tires?
    Hello, Don.

I bought a set of five Milestar P175/80R13 tires on 8/04/12 and have about 13,500 miles on them.

But, I didn't get a front end alignment until 4,000 miles ago and the front tires were badly worn on the inner edges. I then rotated the worn tires to the back. The tires are therefore not that old, but they are not in the best of shape either.

I hope to put maybe another 15,000 miles on these tires and then replace them with a set of bigger P185/80R13 tires.

Update: I read this post on a Mustang board. His situations sounds very similar to mine. The conclusions were that he needs an alignment, two new rear tires, and a wheel balance. I could buy one new P175/80R13 tire, and use it and the almost new spare to replace the two mis-worn rear tires, and keep the better of the two worn rear tires for a spare.

"My car. 2010 v6 vert with 72k miles.

Okay so I put new 19 inch wheels with the front tires brand new and the rears evenly warn but down but not yet to the wear bars. Before I put these wheels on the car had an alignment problem where the inner fronts were wearing slightly.

Well I put the 19 inch wheels with the tires on and the steering wheel wobbled at 60mph and disappeared at 70 mph and the car pulled left and right. (Note now that I installed new brakes but didn't turn rotors about 1,000 miles before all this)

So I thought to myself since I put the new wheels on "oh I just need my wheels balanced and aligned"
    Took it to a famous shop the whole valley loves. this is what they said I need to fix the wheel shake and pulling left and right: Note below all this includes labor.

1. Front end alignment only ($110, really? Just for the front?)
    2.Caster bolt kit, said that since my car was newer it requires a new kit.
    3. Two new rear tires ($450 why? They wore evenly, they are on the rear, and have about 40 percent left. how would that effect the handling? I can get two new tires from Goodyear or perreli for $120 each)
    4. New front brake pads and rotors. They said I needed new rotors as they looked worn, which I can agree, they should have been turned, but never had a vibration issue previously. New pads cause they would have to shave the "old" ones I just replaced to make them even with the new rotor so they said they might as well replace them?($525 for front. which is absurd. I can do all that including ceramics with new rotors all around myself for $180)
    5. Brake fluid flush. I know what worn fluid looks like, mine is a light vegetable oil color, not like tea. Said my brakes pulsed and that will assist in the vibration when I brake (which is near non existent) ($110 for flush. Ouch)

So, basically, they said all this would fix my small vibration at 60 mph and my slight left and right pull."
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 31st, 2016 at 06:12 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Hardtop Seat Belts

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    I have looked at 3 point seat belts but don't like the installation process on the hardtops. I did find this link for a so called 4 point belt. There are really only 3 points with four straps. What if any experience/knowledge does anyone have on this.
    http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...sebepubub.html
    Hello, Larry.

That is what I installed. This approach has disadvantages. Putting shoulder belts in a hardtop is a challenge.

IMG_0299.jpg

A problem is that the seat back does not lock in place. If you lean forward against the straps the seat back wants to fold forward. I added other straps at the seat hinges to hold the seat backs in place:

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Other Problems:
    1. The structure of the seat is not strong and the seat back will break and bend in a crash.
    2. The shoulder belts act as a cam. The occupant's forward motion is converted to a downward compression force.
    3. The shoulder belts are uncomfortable wear. They are heavy and restrict torso movement. That makes it more difficult to look over your shoulder while backing up or changing lanes. This results in my most often just wearing the lap belt.

Alternatives:
    This setup would look nice, but the metal that it anchors to is not very strong.

mustang-camaro-mounting-plate-install-roof.gif

This dealer-installed seat belt on a 1966 Fairlane used a novel approach: They drilled a hole in the roof and essentially used a big washer.

IMG_0304.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 1st, 2016 at 07:06 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Old Car Safety

Dennis, As far as the Fairlane option. What the heck were they thinking??????

Where do your center straps hook up? Not sure from the pictures. Thanks Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Seat belts.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    [SIZE=4]Dennis, As far as the Fairlane option. What the heck were they thinking??????
    Where do your center straps hook up? Not sure from the pictures.
    Hello, Larry.

I do not think that I could bring myself to go with the Fairlane option.

The shoulder straps come together in back as a "V" and then become a single strap:

IMG_0306.jpg

The single strap feeds into the center bracket on the floor. The ends of the lap belt feed into the right and left brackets:
    2-DCP_4899.jpg

I added another bracket and strap on the right and left side to secure the seat hinges:
    floor attachment.jpg

I bought two shoulder harness sets for the front seat and two lap belts for the back seat from Andover Restraints.
    See: http://www.andoauto.com/

Mt receipt says that I bought the "3 Point Seat Belts With Vintage Lift Lid Buckle" - "Custom Y" Harness #8814B
    See: http://www.andoauto.com/3point.htm
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 2nd, 2016 at 01:38 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post

mustang-camaro-mounting-plate-install-roof.gif

This dealer-installed seat belt on a 1966 Fairlane used a novel approach: They drilled a hole in the roof and essentially used a big washer.
    Interesting. I had a set of those once, may still have in my pipes of stuff. Never knew what they were until now. Shoot - they may be worth a small fortune - I should find them.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"