Thread: Finally got it started but need help with tuning.

Finally got it started but need help with tuning.

Hey, guys. My '63 Falcon sat for way too long and as a result it wouldn't start. I gotta it going with a new fuel pump. I had to siphon out the old fuel too because it had gone bad. Got new fuel without ethanol and put some fuel stabilizer in it. I also got rid of the points and got an electronic ignition kit. At least now it starts up easier but it doesn't stay running. Found the vacuum advance was bad too so I replaced it. It has a 170 with a 4 speed. At first it wouldn't stay running unless the choke was pulled half way out but I eventually did get it to idle with the choke pushed in. I tried to drive it but whenever I left off the gas to come to a stop it dies. I'm also not the best with carburetors so any suggestions will help. I also set the timing. 7 degrees seemed to be the best. No pinging or anything. Thank you!

I'm sure others will reply with a lot more experience than me...but mine had the exact same problem when I first got it again and I've had that problem with outboards too. I'm sure you have heard the saying that it can only be one of three things...air-fuel-or spark. I kept telling that to myself over and over.
    It seemed like the bad fuel problem just wouldn't completely go away.
    In my case a lot of carb cleaner, really making sure fuel is good all the way through...and just running it...and finally something it suddenly ran "normally" again (for an old worn out car. Then of course I redid everything...with a little help from my friends on this forum.) anyway, "patience" was the key for me.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

You are probably right. I saw at Napa auto parts they have this big can of carb cleaner that you drop the whole carb in and leave it for like a day to clean it out. I'm going to try that next.

Just to be clear, you don't drop the whole carburetor in that can. You have to disassemble it into all it's individual little parts.

If it sat a long time chances are there is gel'd gas in the bottom of the float bowl and it might be clogging up the works, so a carb rebuild is probably is order. If you wanna give it a go, get a kit for it, that tub of cleaner, and watch a few YouTube videos on rebuilding carburetors.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Also, you said you siphoned the gas out-do you have a drain plug On the bottom of your gas tank? Some don't, but I think most do and that might help get the rest of any bad stuff out of the bottom.
    A friend of mine used one of those carb cleaner cans to totally rebuild my carb...and it still had some problems and Roger (Luva65wagon) ended up fixing it. I would give this forum another day or so before you get too deep if you are not experienced at Carbs. I've found that sometimes the masters on this forum work on cars on the weekend...and then check the forum from work Monday...when they can't work their cars. The masters will chime in don't worry.
    Post a few pics of your car to share while you are waiting.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

No doubt Don was writing that when I posted. One would hope so anyway.

Good suggestion about the residual gas in the tank. It might be re-feeding just back up to the carburetor. Be sure to use a couple in-line filters until you are sure that is sorted out.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"