Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine swap

Cool engine swap

Hi all its Ric. I have been posting the odd vibration questions but today I have a new question. Will a ford inline 6 250 cubic inch from a newer falcon fit my 1964 falcon which now has a 200 and c4 transmission in it. I found one on the other side of the state so I cant just run over to check it out. The guy has it set up to run on a test stand . I just dont want to go over if it wont bolt up what do you think ?

It will all hook up, it's identical in many respects, but it is taller and hood clearance may be an issue. Nothing concrete on that last part, but that's what I've heard.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Take a look here for a discussion on that subject:
    http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/falc...-ranchero.html

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

How do you know the 250 is a good one?
    That article makes it look like one change leads to another and another...
    Last edited by dhbfaster; April 2nd, 2017 at 12:59 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

odd vibration

thanks you smithkid for the link about going to the 250 motor. I think I am going to pass on that option it is just to many mods to make it work. It was on craigslist in Spokane . Good thing you all told me about the hassles with that one .

Not sure how much you want to spend Ric, but s&j engines in Spokane seemed to do a great job on mine. We pulled mine out, gave it to them with everything pulled off of it, dirty - got it back in a week better than new. $100 freight round trip from federal way. Anyway, seems like you still need to double check your compression.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I'll have to check the Ford 6 performance book (I now have two of) and see what they had to say about the swap. I didn't think there was as much difference as that link indicated. Eithee way I think a swap is extreme without definitive evidence of what you have going on there now. I'm out and about, but when I can look in the book I'll post what they say about the 250 (if only to satisfy my own curiosity). Until then we'll all await to hear what the compression reading is using the other tester.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

odd vibration

I picked up a new compression gauge . This one said 110 - 125 on the compression.I went to a couple of tranny shops and they both said they would pull the transmission and flywheel , put on another flywheel and then run the engine to check for the vibration. Thus telling me if it is the engine or transmission. Oh they want $500 for that and all I get is the information. OUCH. They must think we are made of money LOL

odd vibration

Now I am wondering if this thing has the wrong fly wheel in it. Is there a difference in the fly wheel from a 1964 2 speed auto and 1964 and c4 ?

Have you checked your U joints?
    I had one go out on me before on another car and there was definitely vibration leading up to it. All my u joints were bad on the falcon too. Not difficult to replace either and relatively cheap.

I did find this article on flywheels and vibration.
    http://www.doityourself.com/stry/3-s...d-car-flywheel
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

odd vibration

thanks dhbfaster but I had a new drive line made& balanced with new u joints when I had the diff rebuilt. I am 100 % sure it is rpm related because it happens in Park or neutral. Good idea though

I've been pondering this issue for a bit and finally had a quick read of the Ford 6 Performance Handbook from the Schjeldahl's. There's not a lot you can swap around internally to make this issue occur.

Because the compression is flat across the board, with more than just one tester, I thought through it all and there is one other thing that could have happened to cause this. A timing chain having jumped a tooth or two or not setup correctly (assuming this is, in fact, a rebuilt engine in the recent past) would cause low compression readings... and the resulting running condition could appear as though there was an imbalance.

Could be something else, but this low compression and the imbalance you feel could be related.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"