Thread: Am I nuts??

Am I nuts??

My 50 year class reunion is next August, in Minnesota; I live in Portland OR. I want to drive my Ranchero there & back. Manual everything, no A/C. Am I nuts??

I actually did this trip in 2014 in my previous rig, a 1979 Chevy LUV (photo). 3500 miles round trip, with no issues, but that truck was 14 years newer. I drove my Ranchero to the Falcon Nats in Sacramento this year, also with no issues. How cool would it be to show up at my reunion in the Ranchero? Pretty effin' cool I'm thinking, but actually making it is the big concern.

Has anyone else taken a long distance drive, and if so, I'd like to hear your stories and advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

In 1993 I drove my worn out '63 convertible (6 cylinder w/2 speed auto with 3.5 rear) from Madison Wisconsin to Seattle. 2,000 miles. Took about 5 days as we were sight seeing as well. Took I90 and I94 all the way. Only problem is the water pump started leaking badly in Spokane. Swapped it out in the motel parking lot in the morning and continued on.

Lots of great things to see on that route and August is a great time to go.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

It's good to hear that old cars can go the distance Jeff. I've been through this car front to back, so I can't think of what could go wrong (Ha!!).

Engine cooling is certainly a concern. I saw a few parking lot radiator swaps at the Nats this year.
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

When the guy came looking at Freddie he asked if it would drive to Spokane without issue. I basically told him I'd only driven it 25 miles since I had it so I couldn't tell his with full confidence it would make it. Didn't know any reason why it wouldn't make it, but "if I'd driven it for 1000 miles I would feel better saying it would do another 1000 miles without issue." And that's what I would say here. If you've driven your car around town the distance you intend to drive it to the show, then you have a certain confidence it will make the trip.

But also make sure your AAA is active.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"