View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 07:31 AM
New Forum User

Thanks for all of the help. The guy that sold me the flex plate said he checked around and found a reference online that stated the p/n of the one he sold me and the p/n of the one that "fits all 6 cylinders" are essentially the same. Indeed, when the guys installing the new flex plate yesterday removed the old one, it had chunks missing from around the outer bolt holes, indicating that it was the transmission moving around and clipping the flex plate that was likely the cause of its demise.

Now, I can't tell you how much it pains me to even admit this but I HAVE A NEW F&%$ING PROBLEM!

Yesterday I finally got out of Roswell in the late afternoon. Aside from the c-lock popping off the accelerator in the middle of nowhere (I only admit this because, c'mon, really?), fixed out of necessity with a metal lock tie, everything was going great from Roswell to Albuquerque (100 miles).

About 20 miles outside of Albuquerque, the car started to bog down, jerking intermittently. After a few miles, I found a gas station, pulled over. I checked the fluids, checked the fuel line, filter at the carbeurator (blew through it, no resistance) - everything was fine.

I checked the timing. It was low, about one degree above TDC. I rotated the distributor (that since the 200 was put in about 5000 miles ago is from an old Maverick they had at the shop, same old cap and rotor I think) as far as it would go, ie; vaccuum advance touching block, brought it up to about 7 deg. above TDC. I think it is supposed to be between 8 and 10. Thought I was good to go.

Here's the weird part though. It was still jerking, running poorly. I stopped again. The dist. was still as far as it could go but now the timing is even lower than TDC (approx. one degree). The spark plug wires all are sparking. I get spark from the points, though I don't know if they are gapped properly. To make matters worse, once again, I'm in the middle of nowhere. I can probably get to the part store 18 miles away, but don't think I can trust the kid behind the counter. I have a repair manual but have just read enough to be dangerous.

Let me know if this should be a new thread. Figured you all might be checking this one. Sorry if this is too much information but I would rather not waste anyone's time by omitting some important part of the puzzle. Any help, as always, would be greatly appreciated.