Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Freddie comes alive!

Freddie comes alive!

Roger, this is going to sound bad, but at least it is happening to someone who can fix this mess. I would have given up with all the problems you are having. Maybe Freddie Krueger is the right name. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Roger, glad to see a post from you. I read a news report this week that Roger Moore had died. Glad it was just Fake News. Welcome back!

#rogercomesalive

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Could it be possible there is/was another "Roger Moore"? Nah! Musta been an imitation!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Roger Moore RIP

I got a very odd text from Lila's B-I-L, Dennis, on Wednesday saying "Sorry to here about your demise" and I was like, "What?" What the heck did he mean by that. What did I do? And then 15 minutes of waiting for him to tell me. Meanwhile I recalled memories of a text I received from a friend of Lila's right after we started dating, I was in Hawaii for work (3 hours behind over there) and I get this at 3 in the morning, waking me up, saying "They know what you did. I'm so sorry." And when asked what she meant, she said "You know what you did" with no further reply. I was freaked out, not knowing what the heck she meant so I had to call Lila at 6 in the morning, waking her up, to figure it out. Stupid game. Suffice it to say that friend got a side of me I don't expose often.

But yeah, sad to here of the other Roger Moore's passing. I remember my first "connection" to him when I was about 10 and it has been nearly nonstop since.

As for the car that shall not be named, I expected most of it. It's just... when will it be satisfied? What sacrifice will satisfy its thirst?

Oh great car that shall not be named. How may I do your bidding?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

The car that shall not be named.

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Even got a new cap and rotor and stator for the distributor. Then I got a wild hair and thought maybe the coil was bad. I had a couple of those square mid-80's coils and set one up temporarily - and VROOM!
    Well, gee.

I had to look up a picture of a "stator" to see what you were talking about.

Stator_Removal_diagram.jpg

The stator is a mounting plate. How can one wear out?

You also made me wonder about coils. Do they go bad gradually, or all at once? I looked up "when to replace an ignition coil" and found the following"

"The ignition coil on your car is supposed to last around 100,000 miles or more. The following are some of the warning signs that you will notice when it is time to get a new ignition coil:

The car will not start
    The engine is misfiring on a regular basis
    The Check Engine Light is on"
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 29th, 2017 at 06:45 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis,

The stator ie a rare item to fail, and it hadn't, but got the least expensive parts to begin with. Was more odd the way it behaved with the new one. It's similar to a magneto, so they usually fail when a winding of wire in it goes open, or shorts out. The stator is used as a inductive trigger for the STI ignition box Gary installed.

A coil is a similar thing to how a stator is made, but with two sets of wire windings in one package isolated from each other and one side gets a charge and when the field collapses it does so to the other winding, which like a transformer - amplifies the voltage a lot; like, 12 volts (or 9 volts) amplified to 45,000 volts. Some coils can handle a full 12 volts and some must be used with a ballast resistor (drop voltage from 12 to 9). As I learned, this CDI (capacitive discharge induction) ignition works with most any coil. Or so they say.

A coil fails when it gets too hot usually and the normally insulated wire fuses together and shorts out. Shorts in any wiring ends its life. Coils are often oil filled too to help it stay cool.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; May 29th, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Coils are often oil filled too to help it stay cool.
    Apparently some are also filled with soup...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff W; May 30th, 2017 at 06:53 PM.

Well, here I am...

...back where I started.

I reinstalled the 4 barrel today after trying two different 2 barrel carbs. I believe both were a bit too big, considering the 4 barrel is 195 cfm primary and either of the 2 barrel's would be 350 cfm, maybe more. A good explanation of this, if you're interested, is here:

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...rod/prd440.htm

Before putting the 4 barrel back on I opened it up and, using a note Gary wrote a few posts back, removed the idle-bleed screws Patrick added, drilled a pair the next size smaller, and put the power valve in the carb came with. This should have theoretically put the carb back to its original specs. After a lot of tweaks I have the car running reasonably well. Have not driven it, and have run it for maybe 20 minutes without the behavior I had when the 4 barrel was on last week (runs, but then dies like running out of gas). But (yep, I have a but) I'm still a bit derailed over something.

Going through the conversations Gary passed on to me, the engine builder was asked to degree the cam to the Clay Smith specs. Gary had supplied an adjustable timing gear setup of some sort (no evidence I have of what it was), but the builder indicated that it was unusable for some reason. The note goes on to say the builder had troubles degree'ing the cam due to, they said, the cam having the dowel pin alignment hole drilled in the wrong spot. This caused them to move the cam gear one tooth to degree it to spec.

For reference, this is the (second) cam Gary bought:

http://www.claysmithcams.com/ford-14...-good-economy/

It runs good with the performance timing, but what a pain figgering out what others did.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; August 25th, 2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Typo's from delirious typing
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"